Chapter 1

AWAY

"Flight 256 has landed" the voice on the speaker said. I looked at the time to see it was only 7am.

"Finally" I whispered exitedly.

I haven't seen Brad in years. And we've been dating for seven. He left for the army 2 years ago, and today he was finally coming back. I heard cries and screams of joy as the soldiers walked into the waiting rooms. Families everywhere happy, crying tears of joy, finally reunited with their soldier. I looked around and saw no sign of Brad anywhere. I waited around some more and noticed this blonde haired guy. His face was red from crying. His family gathered around him to embrace him. Him and his family proudly walked around with an Irish flag on their backs. Then some one called my name.

"Autumn? Are you Brad's girlfriend?" I whipped aroud to see a big broad man behind me.

"Yes that's me.."

"Hello autumn. Im General Jason. I worked with your boyfriend for a while now. What a great lad. " His face turned pale as he cleared his throat. He took his green army hat off his head, looking me in the eyes. I knew something was wrong.

"Well where is he?"

He cleared his throat again.

"Sadly, Brad didn't make it."

I let out a loud cry not caring who heard me. I fell to my knees sobbing in agony. This can't be happening, my Brad, the only man i have ever loved, gone. He was so young, just 21 years old. I craddled my knees, burrying my face inside of them, blocking myself out from the rest of the world. I cried for what felt like hours, in the middle of the airport, after yelling at General Jason to get away from me.

I felt a large hand on my back, moving in a circular motion. I looked up quickly hoping it would be Brad, and that there was some sort of mistake. Sadly, it was the Blonde lad from earlier. He was giving me a sympathetic look as he reached over and wiped my tears away. I blinked letting them fall down my pink rosey cheeks as I tried to catch my breath. "Everythings going be okay. " He said soothingly, letting me burry my face into his chest.

"You dont even know me. " I managed to say.

I could feel his chest rise and fall as he continued to rub my back. "I know I dont know you, but I do know what you're going through. Your boyfriend, Brad, was in my group. I witnessed him getting shot, infact, I've witnessed hundreds of people getting shot. Just watching, not being able to do anything about it, and having to keep moving forward. Its funny how things work in life, some of the most innocent people will get hurt, but you have to remember, they are dying for their country, the most noble of ways a man can die. Trust me, things will get better, life will move on. " I looked up at him, a wave of guilt suddenly coming over me. I hugged him tightly, feeling warm water drop from my eyes.

"Thankyou. " I breathed out after fully catching my breath. I pulled away from him quickly realizing it is strange to hug a stranger.

He lifted himself from the ground, then offered his hand to me, which I took, as he pulled me up. "Whats your name love?" He said tilting my head up so that I could look him in the eyes.

"Autumn. " I sighed, wiping more tears from my eyes.

"I'm Niall, Niall Horan. " He spoke proudly, sticking out his hand for me to shake. I took it shaking it gently.

"Do you need a ride home?" he asked.

When he asked me I remembered I had no ride home or any money to get back home.

"Yeah.. but it's pretty far from here and I don't want to bother you or your family. I mean they haven't seen you in years."

"It's okay don't worry about it. You can stay at our house if you want. And I'll take you home in the morning. "

"Are yo- are you sure?"

"Yes. Now come on."

He grabbed my hand and walked me to his big group of family. He kept looking at me to make sure I didn't start crying again.

"are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I guess" I said shrugging my shoulders. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Come on. Lets meet my mom she'll definetly cheer you up.

"Mum!"

"Yes sweetie?"

"This is Autumn. Brad was in the Army with me and this here is his girlfriend"

"Hello Autumn. Nice to meet you" she said with a huge smile on her face.

"Hi" I said shyly.

"Oh and he- he didn't make it. Can she stay with us for the night?" I heard him whisper. My breath hitched at the thought but I kept myself together.

"Oh of course she can!"

He shot the happiest smile to me. We all left the airport and got into Niall's car.

"Home sweet home" Niall said looking out the window into the cold winter air.

During the car ride Niall and his family talked about all the things he missed and what happened during war. He was so happy finally seeing his family. We all had a fun time joking around that I completely forgot about.. Brad.

Tears immediately stung my eyes. They filled my eyes and a lump grew in my throat. Niall saw me crying and grabbed my leg.

"Dont cry please" he pleaded making a funny face to cheer me up. I laughed immediatly feeling better. We pulled up to his house, which I noticed was abnormally large. I got out of the car and Niall and I walked up to his house behind his family.

"Thankyou...for today, you certainly do know how to make someone feel better. " I said looking him in the eyes. He gave me a genuine smile and nodded.

"No problem." He swung open the door to his house and we walked in, once again being welcomed by his wonderful family. Niall Horan, a boy who will indeed show me thatlife will get better.

Authors Note: Hi :) Kelly and Tiffany here. We actually spent about 8 hours on this first chapter, enjoy the life lessons and romance throughout these chapters of Away (Niall Horan Fanfiction). Fan/Vote/comment we will definetly consider your suggestions! Thanks for reading and stay tuned xx