001. strangers.

CHAPTER ONE,
strangers.

a year later

WHO KNOWS HOW LONG ITS BEEN. The Hastings family and Apollo Maxwell had continued walking down the long road of Georgia for whoever knows how long. The only expression on their faces was exhaustion. The only goal for them was to find anything. Such as food, people, or a safe place.

Roman Hastings stops walking, "Let's rest up in the woods" He speaks up and everyone stops with him, Cassandra turning around to hear her dad. "It's gonna get dark soon. I can see if I find anything before then." Everyone nodded.

"I'll come too," Cassandra let out. Roman examined his daughter before nodding.

They walked into the woods and found a decent spot and area to rest down for the night. Cassandra and her dad, including Birdie who followed the blonde without invite. The three split off from the group and began to look around.

"How about we split up?" Cassandra asked her father and he nodded. "Keep Birdie close and your knife closer, alright?" "I know. I got it." Cassandra dryly chuckled and began walking away, the German Shepard following her every step.

    Roman smiled at his only daughter before wandering his own way.

ITS BEEN TEN MINUTES since they split up. The Hastings girl hadn't found anything and was feeling down about that although Birdie was very proud of her own finding of a squirrel and was now carrying it in her mouth. The sight wanted to make Cass gag, but Birdie's trots and tail wagging made it better.

She decided to head back to where she and her dad had last split up, wanting to wait for him back there. Cassandra took the road instead of walking through the woods.

While walking, she started to take notice of an engine creeping up behind her. She turned around and began walking backward, waiting for the said engine to come up over the hill.

If you asked anyone, Cassandra Hastings is a curious girl. It can get her into trouble sometimes, just like how she's not running off into the woods and taking cover if it's someone with a gun who could mistake her for a walker.