Chapter 22

After a nice dinner, Ryder sat next to me on the large couch in the living room in front of a fireplace and a large flat screen TV. As I'm scrolling through my Facebook, I see Kate's number come across my screen. "What the fuck?"

"What is it?" Ryder asked, not looking up once from his laptop.

"Kate is calling."

"See what she wants."

"Hello?"

"Hey, Tally."

"Hey."

"I went to your job and your boss said you were off for a few days. What are you up to?"

"Why are you calling me, Kate?" I didn't want to sound harsh, but I needed to know.

"I just wanted to see how you're doing."

"Why? Are you expecting me to not be okay?"

"No, but I mean... we were friends you know. I'd expect you to be a little offended and hurt." She laughed but I found nothing funny about it.

"I've been too busy to spend time feeling upset."

"Busy with that guy? How's that working?" I could sense the sarcasm in her tone, like it was all a huge joke to her.

"It's fine, Kate. We're in Vermont."

"Why are you there?"

"He wanted to leave for a weekend, so I called off of work to go with him."

"Ah..."

"Is there any reason why you're calling me, Kate?"

"I just miss you. Things aren't the same without you. My salary is shitty and I'm staying with a co-worker who's a bitch."

"You two must be getting along great then."

"I guess I deserve that. You don't have to rub it in, Tally. You don't miss me?"

"Why should I miss you after the way you treated me? Did you think my world would come crashing down after you left? No. You were a fake friend, Kate and you know that as much as I. You can call me randomly and try to pretend nothing happened? It doesn't work that way, Kate. I have to go now."

I didn't let her respond as I end the call and put my phone on the coffee table. "What a bitch."

"Is she trying to get you to feel sorry for yourself?" Ryder asked without looking at me.

"Yep. I don't forgive her for anything and she sure as hell won't be moving back with me. I'm better off living alone without the bitch."

"Good for you. You don't deserve to be taken advantage of like that."

"I know."

"I have something that can calm you down."

"Which is?"

He smiled and shut his laptop before standing up and taking my hand. "The Jacuzzi."

"There's a Jacuzzi?"

"Follow me."

He took me into a room with a big bay window and a large hot-tub in the corner. "What about bathing suits?"

"Don't need one, love. I've already seen your beautiful bare skin."

Nodding, I slowly slid my pants down my legs and took my shirt off, watching him stare at me with hungry eyes. "God, I want you right now."

Smirking, I took off the rest of my clothes and got in the hot water. "You going to just stare or are you coming in here?"

I felt myself get turned on as he took off his clothes, exposing his erection. "Would you like some wine?"

I shook my head. "I just want you in here right now."

He slowly got into the water and sat next to me. "Ryder?"

"Hmm?"

"How many women have you brought here?"

"Only you."

Just tell me the damn truth, Ryder. "Alright."

"Why do you ask, darling?"

I shook my head. "Just wondering. That's all."

Smiling, he slid his thumb across my bottom lip. "Can I kiss you?"

I hated faking my actions, but for now, I had no choice. "You don't have to ask me twice."