Chapter Four- Tributes and Tribulations

Rose was vaguely aware of being pushed through the justice building doors and having them slam shut behind her

Rose was vaguely aware of being pushed through the justice building doors and having them slam shut behind her. She sort of wanted to laugh at that. It was like the door closing on the rest of her life. No longer could she walk amongst general society, she would now and forever be a tribute, her life tainted by the mark of her choice to volunteer.

Rose waited to feel scared, to feel angry, or sad, but all she felt was numb. It felt as though she had stepped into a bubble on that stage, one that blocked out any sort of emotions. She didn't know when that'd bubble pop, but for now she was content in her little pocket of unfeeling.

Hands on her back pushed her into a fancy-looking room. The floors were made of light wood and the walls had a tropical-looking wallpaper pressed onto them. Billowing gauzy white curtains fluttered in the wind, showing flashes of a sparkling blue ocean surrounded by sand. Her heart tightened in her chest. She was right there, and she'd probably never step a foot into that water.

"Wait for family," a gruff voice said, before the door closed behind her. Rose whirled around, hoping to tell him that there was no family for her to be had, but she could already hear his footsteps descending.

Now she was starting to feel something. It started with a tingling in her hands, spreading upwards until her entire body was buzzing. She felt her heart work doubletime in her chest, slamming against her collarbone.

Her head swam and she pressed a hand to her forehead, trying to suck in air but it felt like her lungs had shrank to the size of peas.

She had volunteered. She had volunteered to be tribute. She saved Annie, and she had no regret for that, but she had signed herself up for suicide. Images of Finnick, blood stained, trembling, trident in hand, flashed through her mind.
Finnick had been fourteen, sure, but he had had years of experience swimming, fishing, tying knots. She knew none of those things. She was a vegetarian, for Christ's sake.

She wiped her damp palms on her skirt before running them through her hair. She was an idiot. A true idiot. She'd die within the first three seconds, maybe even before she stepped off the damn podium. She'd never-

Her chaotic stream of thoughts was cut off by the sound of the door opening. Rose whirled towards it, a spark of hope igniting in her chest. Maybe her family had come after all. Maybe she would get to see them before-

A tall man with tan skin and golden hair stepped through the doorway instead and that hope deflated like a sad balloon.

Rose crossed her arms over her chest, watching Finnick close the door. He turned, his green eyes wide, crazed almost, landing on her.

"What are you doing h-"

"What the hell were you thinking?" he asked. "Do you have a death wish?"

She felt her brows spring upward. Whatever she was expecting him to say, it wasn't that. "Excuse me?"