Chapter 4

Evan Buckley had just pulled his lasagna from the microwave when his phone buzzed. He grabbed it, and hit answer as soon as he read Maddie's name across the top.

"Buck?" She said, sounding out of breath. "I just took a call. There's a fire at the wellness centre Bobby was investigating. They said there are people trapped inside, and neither Bobby nor Athena are picking up."

Buck paused, unsure what to say.

"I know you're supposed to be resting," she continued, but Buck cut her off.

"I'm on my way. Don't worry Mads. Keep trying their phones."

Buck grabbed the keys to his jeep off the table and ran to the door, his lasagne forgotten on the counter. He pulled open the door and almost ran straight into Hen who had her hand up, as though preparing to knock.

"B..Buck?" She stammered, "Where are you goin in such a hurry, huh? I brought you dinner".

Buck's eyes dropped to the pot in her hand.

"No time to explain. Come on, it's Bobby". He pushed past her into the hallway, and she rushed to put down the dinner and follow him out to the jeep.

Not long later, they were pulling up to the wellness centre, smoke billowing from its windows. Buck had filled Hen in on what little he knew, and together they leapt out and ran to where the 136 ladder was parked.

"Hey!" Shouted Hen over the noise. "One of our guys is in there!"

The Captain turned to face her.
"We're doing our best to get these flames out", "we don't know what's in there, the owner said there are potentially explosive substances and we can't risk entering until we know more." His voice was raised so she could hear him, but she could hear the concern in his voice.

She met Buck's gaze. The owners would do anything to protect themselves, and they both knew it. She couldn't believe what she was about to do, but she decided to go full Buckley.

As though they shared a single thought, Buck and Hen thanked the captain and hurried behind the ladder. Hen pulled open the door and Buck reached in, pulling out 2 of the 136's coats. They pulled them on and grabbed tanks and masks. With a solid nod, they headed towards the house, knowing the trouble they would be in, but nothing mattered anymore.