Chapter 5

Athena got back into her car, sighing heavily. The officers were leading the kids away, but that didn't mean catching them hadn't taken its toll on her. She shifted into first and pulled away, securing her phone in the holder. A moment later she must have pulled out of the dark patch she must have been in as her phone started to buzz with missed calls from Bobby, Maddie and Hen. Her heart began to race as she reached to call back her husband, when her screen lit up with a call from Maddie.

"Maddie?" She answered "what's goin on?"

A moment later, her sirens were on and she was speeding towards the rehab facility, pulling up Bobby's voicemail as she did so.

"Hey hon, I've just had a call from Tamara. Something isn't right. I need to go to her, now. Meet me there as soon as you can!"

Her heart was in her throat as she pulled out past a truck and sped towards her husband, worry clouding her mind.

About ten minutes later she screeched to a halt beside the ladder truck that was handling the blaze. She nodded to the captain then rushed over to where a group were huddled, having clearly been evacuated from the building.

No sign of Bobby.

She came face to face with Carrie and was about to start questioning her, when she saw movement out of the corner of her eye. Two figures were striding around the side of the house, a third draped limp between their shoulders. Her eyes focused on Hen and Buck, and she gasped as she saw her husband's lifeless body hanging between them.

She ran towards them, trying to keep a cool head, and she reached them just as the paramedics also met them with a gurney. Buck lowered Bobby down as Hen reached to take his pulse.

"He's stopped breathing!" She yelled and Athena leapt up on her husband without hesitation, straddling him and digging all her weight into his chest with the heels of her hands. Her eyes met Hen's and a look of understanding passed between them. The paramedics wheeled the gurney back to the ambulance, and before Athena knew it she was in the back and the doors slammed shut, cutting her off from the rest of the world. But all that mattered, right here and right now, was her husband.