chapter four.

chapter four.
The Rise of a Grisha

I DREAMED THAT I WAS BACK IN FJERDA, my parents sending me off and into the woods

I DREAMED THAT I WAS BACK IN FJERDA, my parents sending me off and into the woods. I remember my mother crying, telling me things I didn't understand as a four-year-old. I remember the faint voice of my father telling me to get as far away from our home as fast as my feet would allow me to go. I remember crying, begging for them not to leave, but they'd already been running back towards the house, leaving me alone.

I remember hesitating to do as they said, remember hearing shouting, seeing fire burn, and watching my home burn into ashes. I remember wanting to go back, but I was not one to disobey. I did as I was told and ran. A bag over my shoulder filled with clothes, a blanket, and food for my journey to who knows where at the time.

After that, everything was a blur and the only thing that I could see was the crying face of a four-year-old me.

❂♕

I bolted upright in the bed, looking around and almost forgetting where I was, and let out a shaken sigh, feeling a sudden urge to cry. That dream haunted me, not because it was real, but because I didn't know whether my parents survived or not. I didn't think about it much, but when I did tears always seemed to spring from my eyes and I hated it. I hated feeling weak, but I'd pretty much been alone my whole life.

And now, finding out I'm a supposed Sun Summoner and Tidemaker just adds to the number of problems I'm currently having. Like getting sent off to Os Alta like some prized trophy by the darkling, worrying about what I'd do now that I don't have a home to go back to, and wondering if this was my life now.

It all became too much and I practically had to hold back a sob that so much wanted to break the surface. Had there been an expectation from the Grisha now? What was my purpose here in the first place? They had their Alina Starkov here, the real sun summoner, so what did that make me?

A copy of a copy?

I didn't get time to think about it further when a knock sounded at my door. I took in a few breaths, hesitating for a few seconds and slowly rising from the bed. The floor was cold but shining in the light when I slowly made my way past a vanity that was lined up against the wall in pure cold, a mirror hanging above. Glancing at myself, I knew I looked horrible, but at least my hair looked somewhat the part. I shook the thought off and crossed to the door as I heard the inpatient sound of a foot tapping from the other side.

I gripped the handle and opened the door, the sight I was met with was somewhat unforgiving and unexpected but no words formed, drop-dead gorgeous maybe. Her hair was the deepest auburn, her irises large and mixed between a color of grey and blue, skin smooth and flawless that she looked as if her perfect cheekbones had been carved from marble. She wore a cream-colored kefta embroidered in silver and lined in pure white fox fur.