Danger Zone

A few days later, Simon and Malcolm headed to San Diego. Malcolm was able to contact Eddie Carr about the new plan. At Eddie's manufacturing plant, Malcolm explained to Eddie how they would have to leave earlier than planned with Simon walking next to them.

Eddie: You can't shave three days off my deadline, expect everything to be ready. I'm not fully supplied. I haven't field-tested any of this.

Ian: What's the point of giving her a mobile radio telephone if it doesn't even work. What's the matter with this?

Eddie: Could be anything: solar flares, thunderstorms, maybe she even turned it off.

Simon, Malcolm and Eddie walked past two trailers that were connected with a canvas cover. The vehicle was a heavily customized 1937 Hunt Housecar, painted in a jungle camouflage scheme. The Housecar had been fitted with a radio, a medical lab in the second trailer, barred windows, and safety glass.

The housecar was also customized to be much larger than others its type. Besides the custom housecar, the team would also be traveling in two similarly painted 1937 Chevy Suburbans. One fitted with a glass roof. Both with barred windows.

Eddie: I need half-air on, on the tires here, guys.

Simon: Maybe she doesn't know how to use it?

Eddie: What, are you kidding me? She's mailed me refinements on fifty percent of the plans for this stuff.

Malcolm began banging the radio telephone against the trailer.

Eddie: Ow, ow, ow.

He absolutely hated technology being abused.

Eddie. Don't do that, don't do that. You gotta baby it a little bit. You gotta love it."

Ian: I'll love it when it works.

Eddie: It'll work when you love it. Let me see it.

Suddenly, a 1934 Chevy Sedan pulled into the garage.

Ian: Coming along, Eddie?

Man: I don't usually. I don't like the field much. But in this case, I can't resist.

A man exited the sedan.

Man: Thanks for the two-minute warning, Eddie.

Eddie: Nick Van Owen. This is Ian Malcolm. And his...?

Simon: Ward.

Eddie: Ward, right. Anyway, Nick's our photojournalist."

Ian: How do you do?

Eddie: Ian's our...Ian, plus ward.

Ian: What's your background? War correspondent?

Nick: Yeah. Combat, National Geographic, you name it. When I was with National Geographic, I was in Turkey, the Kingdom of Iraq, all over China.

One of Eddie's mechanics took Nick's camera equipment.

Nick: Do some volunteer work with the Sierra Club once in a while.

Ian: The Sierra Club. What drew you there?

Nick: Women. Eighty percent female, Sierra Club.

Simon: Noble.

Nick: Yeah, well kid, noble was last year.

Nick, carries out more equipment out of his sedan.

Nick: This year, I'm getting paid. Hammond's check cleared, or I wouln't be going on this wild goose chase."

Ian: Uh, where you're going is the only place in the world where the geese chase you. Now Simon, are you sure about this?

Simon: Absolutely not. But what the hell, it's just a simple rescue mission.