47. Emma

I misheard him.

Clearly.

So much had happened today, and my worst fears were manifesting into very believable delusions.

There's no way Daniel would ever say that.

I simply must have misheard him.

"Daniel...What did you—"

"I'll come visit every single day."

No.

"I'll call you and check in on you. I'll even pay for your therapy and drive you to school."

No!

"Emma, I'm sorry. I fucking hate this, too. But I need to get my shit together before I fuck you up even more. And you—"

No.

"I trusted you." I whispered, feeling like an absolute fool. Elizabeth's whispered words from a few days ago rang in my mind: "I despise men."

And why wouldn't she?

When every man we'd ever known had only proven over and over how little we actually meant to them? My own brother almost shot me today. Lars was a head guard! He could've guarded us as we exited to prevent any harm from coming our way, but where was he? Where was Father? Why didn't any of them want to defy Orion, even knowing how badly he wanted to hurt and use me?

And Daniel.

The one man I finally thought could be different. Despite him screaming at me and threatening me that one time, he'd never given me any indication that he would ever hurt me. He said he would help me find my sister and that I could live with her, but that was before! We hardly knew each other then.

So much had changed between us since then.

His name had been BURNT into my thigh!

Was this really his plan all along? Despite everything?

He was still talking, apologizing and pleading and making more promises. I could hear his mother and Lara and even his Aunt Melody gently trying to reason with me. His sisters and grandparents hovered closely, murmuring and humming their notes of agreement.

But I wasn't listening. Because it didn't matter either way. The decision was made for me, as usual. I didn't get a say. As usual. What I wanted didn't matter.

It never had and apparently it never would.

"I want to go home." I whispered, to nobody in particular, staring straight ahead at nothing, not wanting to make a scene. I wasn't supposed to scream or cry, right? I was supposed to just let everyone around me make decisions for me, and I was supposed to just take it. Gently. Quietly,

"Emma...I'll visit all the time, love. I swear. Nobody is going to hurt you again. Nobody is going to fucking touch you. I don't care how far away you are. I will be there in a heart—"

"How far away will I be?" I asked Daniel, struggling to rein in my emotions, but feeling like I was going to lose my internal battle.

"Um...just under 2 hours..." Lara said quietly. "But it's a lovely drive. We live in a more suburban area that's very quiet...and safe. And like Daniel, said, he'll come vis—"

"Let's just go." I muttered, still refusing to meet anyone's eyes.

Still wishing I could just go back home. Because if I couldn't be with Daniel, I didn't want to be with anyone. Except my mama. And perhaps also Elizabeth. Elizabeth and I would have so much more in common now.