pretend

May pouted drowsily. It was any usual day before a contest. Training, Rehearsing, Training and rehearsing. She had done some training with her newly evolved venasaur, but having some troubles with vine whip didn't make the practicing any easier.

She was worn out, and she could definitely feel it. She dropped herself on the couch which was in the pokémon center, tiredly gazing out the window — she noticed the sun had started to sink, leaving the sky reveal colors of yellow, orange, red and purple. However, she was awakened out of her daydreams when she heard a familiar voice. 'Hi, May.'

May turned her head, just for her eyes to meet familiar ones — emerald eyes, and, dare she admit it — they were pretty. 'Oh! Hi, Drew.' May greeted the boy exhaustedly, glaring back up at the screen in front of her. Drew gave her a confused look, probably not noticing that the spark of excitement had replaced itself with dullness that showed her exhaustion.

'Are you going to enter the contest here, too?' May murmured, giving Drew a quick look, her eyelids drooping over her eyes. Drew gave a quick nod in acknowledgement, 'I am. I've practiced very well, so don't expect to win this one.' He grinned proudly, as May just tilted her head. 'Nah, I'll win,' she protested.

'I doubt that.' Drew jested, letting himself fall back in the comfortable couch. 'You're pretty much a klutz, I'm sure I'll do better.' He let his smirk grow wider by each word he said, however, May was too exhausted to retort angrily ; so instead she smiled sweetly. 'I'll do my best nevertheless.' She murmured.

Drew's eyebrows furrowed, his eyes slightly widening, probably not expecting such an optimistic reply. '...Yeah,' he croaked, looking down at his jeans. He felt a little flustered remembering her wide and genuine smile, though he couldn't tell why.

May yawned, burying her nose into her scarf she was still wearing. Drew looked at May again as his eyes softened at her quiet yawn. 'Are you tired?' He asked, inspecting the bags beneath May's eyes. 'Yep..' she sighed tiredly, leaning back in the couch, her hair tickling her cheeks. 'Had intensive training?' He smiled. May nodded.

'Except I've been having some trouble with vine whip, and it's becoming a little frustrating,' she confessed, her bottom lip quivering slightly, getting nervous at the thought of them not getting the practiced moves right. Drew looked into her eyes, noticing a flash of uncertainty pass by her eyes.

'You'll get there.' Drew smiled softly, until he felt May tug at his hand. 'Yeah..' she whispered, unlocking his hand before lacing her fingers through his. The contact made Drew's cheeks heat up a little, causing him to almost curse out loud, however he managed to slap himself mentally.

Drew felt himself perk up once the screen, that hung above the two, flashed to a news channel reporting news specifically related to contests. He always kept tabs on news related to contests, which was no surprise since he was a coordinator himself. May however was lazily hanging on the couch, and it didn't seem as if she batted an eye.

His lips parted in surprise when a picture himself and May was shown— and he wasn't even prepared for what he'd hear next. 'Lately, rumor have been going around that the infamous Drew Hayden has spent a lot of time with another coordinator, May Maple from petalburg city! Is something going on between them?'

Other trainers in the pokémon center looked up to the screen as well, getting a little invested in the situation. Drew felt his cheeks reddening as his eyes reflexively drifted off to the drowsy May, who didn't even seem as if she had heard everything that was said. He felt lots of gazes burning into his skin. Oh arceus.

He felt his heart jump into his throat upon the realization that he was still firmly holding May's hand. And he was sure by this point everyone around them had noticed as well. He puckered his lips in embarrassment, waiting for whatever to come.