Chapter 20: Antihero

I walk down the banks of the Seine, a nervous wreck. The sun had set long ago. The stars are out, almost mocking me with their optimistic twinkling. Oh, how I wish I could be back up there with Chat Noir now, not a care in the world.

I think back to my conversation with Félix earlier. We had decided that we would alert Ladybug and Chat Noir as soon as the opportunity presented itself. In the meanwhile, Félix said he would come up with a plan. We preferably would like a situation in which the other two heroes are on board with us. I would need to tell them that I know Argos and somehow get them to trust him. The plan was to get this all done as quickly as possible.

I sit down at a bench and hold my head in my hands. This was all so much to process. Would I find out Ladybug and Chat Noir's identities after this? Would we get all the miraculouses back? Could we save Gabriel? What would happen to Adrien after everything is revealed?

I let out a shaky breath, trying to calm my emotions. If I let myself feel too much, I might get akumatized, and that's the last thing anyone needs right now.

"Damsel in distress?"

I leap out of my skin, almost screaming. I look up abruptly to find Chat Noir standing in front of me, a concerned look in his eyes.

I sigh and make eye contact. "How do you always find me?"

He shrugs and takes a seat next to me. "Couldn't tell you even if I wanted to."

I stare blankly at the running water of the Seine, no words coming to my mind. We sit in silence for a bit. I can tell he's staring at me all the while.

"What's wrong?" he whispers.

I laugh humorlessly at the seemingly obvious answer. "Everything."

"Care to...elaborate?" he questions.

No. No, I don't. I can't possibly tell him that I know who Monarch is because I also know who Argos is, oh and by the way, I'm Albachor. No, I can only tell him as Albachor, not as my civilian self.

"Not really," I sigh. "Everything is just falling apart. I'll figure it out soon, though."

"If you say so," he murmurs. "Do you need anything?"

I shake my head. "If anything, I need time. Time to process."

"Did something happen?" he asks.

"Not really," I respond. "I just found out some really important stuff, but it's a lot. I need time to think."

"And you don't want to talk about it?"

"I...can't," I explain. "It's confidential. Maybe I'll tell you when all this is resolved. It's just a really big problem right now."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" he asks softly.

I turn to look at him, his eyes large and concerned. I give him a small smile of reassurance. "Not right now. I'm still trying to figure out what to do next."

"Well," he starts, "if there's anything that I can do, I will."

"Thanks," I respond with a smile. "I really appreciate that."

We fall into a comfortable silence. I watch the Seine rush by as I kick my legs back and forth. A single streetlight shines an orange glow near the bench, reflecting off the wet cobblestone.

I return to my thoughts with a dejected sigh. This was the worst possible thing to happen. Adrien would have to find out the truth eventually. It would break him. Again.

I wish there was a way literally anyone else was Monarch, I think.

Suddenly, my breathing halts and my head shoots up.