The question that changed it all

Amanda
It was dark outside, and only a few lights inside the apartment were on by the time we got home, Ellie was fast asleep, and I was getting tired. It had been a long night, and I guessed Jacob was probably already asleep. I turned off the car and got out before opening Ellie's side, gently unbuckling and picking her up. I locked the car before taking the sleeping infant to her apartment, unlocking the door and heading in. I turned on the lights to see the living room. Regina and I spent the first year decorating it with all kinds of things. She had a TV, carpet, pictures, books, everything. I even helped her pick flowers for the giant window to my left. I took Ellie to her room and sat her on her flower bed. We insisted on getting a proper bed, but she fell in love with a medium-sized couch shaped like a flower. At least it was comfortable enough for her to sleep on. She had a box of toys by her bed, but half the toys were scattered around the floor, which caused me to laugh a little. I turned on Ellie's night light before tucking her in and kissing her forehead. "Night, angel," I whispered before leaving her room and closing the door. I pulled out my phone and texted Regina that Ellie was in bed, and we got home safe. When I finished the message, I put my phone back in my pocket before heading to the kitchen and grabbing a glass of water. I then walked to the living room and sat on the couch before turning on the TV and putting on a Sherlock Holmes movie. I had a habit of reading or watching the film before bed. I took out my phone to text Regina to see if it was okay or if she had any spare blankets I could use, but I hadn't even noticed she texted me back saying I could use her bed since I was babysitting Ellie. As the doctor suggested earlier, I wouldn't fight her on this one, but it would be a one-time thing. I walked over to the lights before turning them off and decided that it was late and I didn't want to wake Ellie up with gunshots or something so I just turned off the TV, and tomorrow I'd run home and grab my book. But tonight, I'm throwing in the towel and going to Regina's bed before hopping in and getting a good night's rest..by sunrise, I had already made pancakes and quickly grabbed my book from next door. I didn't wake Jacob up, but I did leave a note just in case he wondered where I was. I wasn't sure if I should wake Ellie up, so I just waited until seven before deciding to wake her up. I walked over to her room before knocking on the door, "Ellie, honey, it's time to wake up." I opened the door to the sleepy child who was rubbing her eyes. "I made pancakes and grabbed some orange juice for you. It's waiting on the table." I smiled as she got up slowly. I could tell she was tired from yesterday, so I picked her up and sat her down on the table before rubbing her back. "Tired, my angel?" She nodded before yawning, and I giggled, "Eat up. After breakfast, we can see your mom. How does that sound?" I picked up the book left on the table and continued reading. "Are you and Mommy gonna get married?" she mumbled before taking a sip out of her orange juice. My eyes widened as I looked at the small child with rosy cheeks "I'm sorry?" I let out a nervous laugh "What are you talking about El?" she put down her drink and wiped her mouth "Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce. Does that mean you'll be my new mommy?" I wasn't sure how to answer this question, yes I had developed a mother-like relationship with Ellie, but I had never even thought Regina and I would even consider getting together. I patted her back before shaking my head "Probably not, but I'll say this, you have a great mom already, and she will always protect you" I kissed her head before standing up "I'm gonna get changed. So I'll be right next door if you need me. Finish your breakfast and then we will get going?" she nodded before I ruffled her hair and left the apartment and headed to my own, I went into my room and grabbed some clothes before heading to the bathroom and rinsing off, I then dried off and got changed before heading back over to check on the small child. She had fallen back asleep, but luckily she had eaten what I had made her, so I let her sleep in until 8, when Regina usually wakes up. I picked up Ellie and laid her on the couch before sitting down next to her and putting on jazz music while reading Sherlock Holmes: The House of Silk.