The calm before the storm

It all happened so fast. One minute we were living our normal lives, and the next everything had changed. The dead were walking, and our world had been turned upside down. My family – my mom, Lori, my brother, Carl, and me – were lucky enough to escape our house before the dead could get to us. But we were alone and scared.

We had to keep moving to stay alive, and it wasn't long before we met up with a group of survivors led by Shane. He was my dad's best friend, and he took us under his wing. We were grateful for his help, but I could tell that things were tense between him and my mom. I didn't fully understand it at the time, but I knew something was off.

We traveled with the group for a while, but eventually, we ended up at a camp outside Atlanta. That's where we met up with my dad, who had been in a coma in the hospital this whole time. It was like a miracle – we had thought he was dead. We were all so relieved to see him, but things still felt unsettled.

I was only nine years old then, and I was terrified. I had never even heard of the word "apocalypse" before all of this happened. I used to be so weak – I couldn't even lift a gallon of milk without struggling. But my family had to toughen up fast if we wanted to survive.

Living in the camp was tough, but it was better than being on our own. We had food, water, and shelter. We even had people to talk to, to help pass the time. But it wasn't long before the dead found us again. They attacked our camp, and we had to fight them off with whatever we could find. It was chaotic and scary, but we made it out alive.

Looking back on those early days, I can't believe how much has changed. Its been about five years and I've grown so much. I was just a scared little girl back then, but now I'm a survivor. I've been through so much – losing my mom,my friends, and so many other people I cared about. But somehow, I'm still here. And I'm still fighting to stay alive, no matter what.