Chapter 28

Despite telling Hermione that we would, none of us really made an effort to work on finding anything about Nicolas Flamel.

I spent most of my time with Harry and Ron where we'd hang around in their otherwise empty dorm or the mostly empty common room.

The good armchairs by the fire were left open from how many people had gone, and we'd spend a lot of time spearing whatever food we could find—bread, English muffins, marshmallows—on a toasting fork and plotting ways to get Malfoy expelled for fun, even though we knew just about all of them would never work.

When we weren't doing that, Ron also spent a good deal of time teaching Harry and I how to play wizard chess, which really wasn't different from Muggle chess except for the fact that the figures were alive.

Still, his lessons were much appreciated, because I didn't really know how to play Muggle chess either—I'd gotten my hands on a board once, but Uncle Vernon took it away before I got the chance to enjoy it and punished me for finding it in the first place.

He said he didn't want me messing around with it because knowing me, I'd break something. He also said he didn't need me thinking I was any cleverer than I was and that chess was only for people with brains.

Asking why he, of all people, had a chess set then only got me in more trouble, but it was definitely worth the look on his face.

Ron's chess set was much older and more battered than the Dursleys' since his set was passed down to him from his grandfather, yet that seemed more practical than anything. Since he already knew them so well, he never had any trouble getting them to do whatever he wanted.

Harry and I would play using the chessmen Seamus Finnigan had lent us, and unfortunately, they didn't trust us very much. Harry had more trouble than I did with getting them to listen to him and to stop shouting different bits of advice at him, though I did still struggle with those issues every now and then.

Surprisingly, the most fun I had wasn't with Harry. It wasn't even with Ron, though I didn't really expect it to be with him. Even if all four of us had started to hang out before the break, me and him still got along the least.

The most fun I had all break was with two of Ron's older brothers—none other than Fred and George Weasley.

As it turns out, George was being really sincere when he offered me some flying lessons. At first I didn't actually see a point in them since I already had real flying lessons from Madam Hooch, but I was learning a lot about different techniques and whatnot from the two of them that she hadn't ever even mentioned.

It was all stuff no one else had thought to teach me that I still thought was pretty handy. For instance, no one saw any reason in teaching the new Chaser how to play any of the other positions, yet that's one of the first things Fred and George did.

Well, actually, they challenged me to play all of the positions at the same time. Of course, that didn't go well at all, but it was a whole lot of fun before I got knocked out of the sky.

Another really surprising thing was how worried they got when I fell, even though they managed to catch me before I actually hit the ground and got hurt. I hadn't been expecting it, but the two of them were actually very caring.

Though, I did notice that one of them was always quicker to move on and make a joke out of it than the other who stayed worried for a bit longer.

I reckoned the one who always moved on faster and teased first was Fred, and the one who kept checking in on me—however casually or silly he tried to make it seem—and stayed worried for a little while after whatever it is that happened was George.