Chapter 7

I parked and grabbed Anna. I nearly ran inside the hospital.

"Hi how can I help you?" The lady asked.

"I...need...husband...car crash...banging...help." I stuttered out.

"Ok ma'am clam down I'll help you. What is your husbands name sweetie."

"Gregory. Gregory Stanfield."

"Ok. Her he is he's in room 210. Go up the elevator to the second floor, make a right and go down the hallway. The door is on your left."

"Thank you" I said as I nearly spun off towards the elevator. I followed her directions and reached his room.

I knocked on his door lightly. A nurse came over and answered it for me. "Who are you?" She asked politely.

"I'm Monica, his wife and this is his child." I said bouncing Anna on my hips.

"Well she's a cutie. He is asleep right now but you may still come in and see him."

"Thank you." She led me in his room and I saw him laying down. He had cuts and bruises all over him. I remembered the bruises he had left on me. I went up and slightly touched them. They hurt a lot, but I focused on Gregory. "Is he going to be ok?" I asked.

"We don't know yet. He's breathing and was up for a little. He's not in a coma, just asleep. We're keeping him monitored and we can keep you posted."

"Thank you." I looked back over to him and grabbed his hand. "Do you know what happened to him?" I asked.

"He was in a car wreck. He was hit by another car and rudely the other car speed off afterwards. Your husband started spinning off the road and ended up flipping over and landing in some near by trees. The other car was unidentified since he got away so fast." She paused for a moment then sighed. "Do you know where he was going?"

Tears began trickling out of my eyes. "Yes" I whispered.

"Do you mind telling me where he was going dear?"

I looked up and nodded. "He was going to the courthouse. We were planning on getting a divorce. He was being a bad father and I didn't want our baby to grow up with a bad life. I told him I didn't want to ride in the same car as him since I was so furious and scared he would injure us on purpose."

"Thank you for helping us better understand this situation. Do you know anything else?"

"In his car he had a hands free Bluetooth speaker that he often times used to call me. While I was waiting at the courthouse parking lot I saw I had a missed call and voice mail from him. Once I listened to the voicemail I started crying and I drove here. It had happened at the moment he was hit. He was talking then all I heard was loud banging and crashing sounds." I put my head down and looked at my feet not wanting to make eye contact with her.

She reached a hand over and placed it on my shoulder. "If you need any support, let me know." I saw and felt how sincere she really was. She gave me a weak smile. "Do you need help with your face?"

"What?"

"You have bruises and your nose was obliviously bleeding do you need help taking care of that?"

"No, I think I'll be just fine."

"Are you sure you don't want me to at least look at? To make such it's nothing really serious."

"Fine, I guess it doesn't hurt to look."

"Alright, come on over here."

I went over to her and she checked me out. She put on a little medicine to clean up the blood so it didn't get infected. Once she was done with the blood she looked around the bruises. When she was almost done with that Gregory made a grunting sound.

We both turned to look at him. His eyes began to slowly blink open. "Hello?" He asked with a horrible cough following. The nurse went over and began examining him again. "Monica? Anna?"

Tears started forming in my eyes. "Yes, Gregory." He weakly motioned us over. I brought Anna over to his side with me. "I'm sorry for what I did and said. I love you."

"I love you too."

"Take good care of Anna. I want her to have a good life, unlike mine-" his words were cut off as the monitor went flat and loud beeping arose. I was quickly rushed out of the room and into the sitting area on the second floor.

A few minutes later a doctor came out. He took a seat beside me and I half Anna a little tighter. He brought out his hand and I shook it. "Hello ma'am, I'm doctor Kochen. I'm afraid to say Gregory has passed away and he will be in our dearest thoughts."

I started crying. I couldn't believe I was going to divorce him then only hours later he had died. Doctor Kochen placed a hand on my shoulder. "If there's anything we can do, let us know."

"Thank you." I said, as my breath was stammering. I could barely breathe, between the crying and the shock. Dr.K got up gave me a sincere smile and left the waiting room. I sat back in my seat. I held Anna tightly and checked to see if she was still breathing.

I stayed in the waiting room until my tears subsided. I got up and went to the bathroom. I changed Anna's diaper and then headed into the car.