Chapter 9

I woke up and grabbed my work laptop. I went through my emails and saw one from insurance company. I carefully read the email in pain as they mentioned Gregory several times.

I was given my money from Gregory's death and all I had to do was pick it up. I checked my plans for today and made time to go. I got a quick shower and got dressed. I called my mother and asked her to come over and watch Anna.

About 30 minutes later my mom arrived and agreed to watch Anna for a bit. I grabbed the sheet and got in my car. First stop was at the local art teacher at the middle school. They were setting up for an art shower so I knew she would be here.

I entered the building and made my way to where she was. "Excuse me Mrs.S?" I asked as I popped into the art room.

"Yes." She said coming out from a back room.

"I have this sheet that I have no use for. Do you need any?"

"Not off of the top of my mind but I could use that, in case a student needed it."

"Here you go." I said as I handed it to her.

"Thanks."

I nodded and left the school. I got back in my car and drove to the grocery store. I got a cart and picked up what I needed along with a bottle of wine, cheese, and salami so I could relax with my mom once I was home.

After paying I headed to the legal office. I went in and sorted out the situation. I was given my check after signing and reviewing multiple papers. I was not one who glanced at the paper then signed. I had to read everything carefully to make sure I wasn't being scammed.

After the legal office I went for the bank and cashed my check. I put some in savings, some in Anna's college fund, and kept some for my wallet.

After that I headed home. When I walked in I saw my mom bouncing Anna on her knee, with Anna giggling adorably. "I'm home."

"Hey honey." My mom stopped bouncing Anna and smiled at me. "I got us a little something something." I said as I started putting the groceries away.

"Oh, and what may that be?"

"Some wine, cheese, and salmi."

"That sounds nice."

I put away the last grocery and got out two wine glasses. I opened the wine with the wine opener. I poured us our glasses then cut the salmi and cheese. I arranged it nicely on a plate then sat down next to my mom.

I gave her the wine glass the sat back. I grabbed a piece of salmi and put cheese on it. I ate the whole thing then sighed.

"You seem upset honey. What's wrong?" My mom asked me.

"Gregory's dead."