Chapter One

Ten Years Later

"This is Emma Pike broadcasting to every frequency. This is Emma Pike broadcasting to every frequency. I'm on a humanitarian mission on behalf of the Federation on the planet Olara in the Kadra system." Emma spoke tiredly into her communicator. "We were ambushed a week ago and our leader has been killed and our ship has been destroyed. We need help. Please."

Emma Pike rested her head against a thick tree and let her hand holding her banged up communicator fall to her side. She had been trying for days to get into contact with anyone she could. She tried every frequency, different languages and even Morse code to get someone to help the refugees and her. Six months after the death of her husband, Captain Christopher Pike, Emma decided to finally get off her ass and do something of importance. While she wasn't ready to return to Starfleet, her ambassador father had told her about a new humanitarian group forming.

Their goal was to help people suffering at the hands of ruthless leaders. Most of the planets they would visit were outside Federation space which caused a slight amount of danger. It would be a fresh start which was something Emma needed. For six months, the group was successful. They helped rescue many people, provide medical care and food as well to those who needed desperately. That was all until they landed on the planet Olara. Their leader had been offered to join the Federation many times, but every time they declined even when the people begged them to join.

The planet was incredibly poor. They had a wet ecosystem which made it hard to grow food. They mostly resorted to hunting and the greenery for food sources. Through a network of spies the Federation was able to send the group to extract some of the people who wanted to leave. That had been the plan at least. It was going well until they were ambushed by their version of the military. While they attempted to flee to the ship, it was shot down. Only twenty five of the fifty people they originally accounted for survived.

The person flying the shuttle was also killed by the impact. They had decided to try and make a run for it while sending out an emergency signal to the Federation. While on the run, the leader of the humanitarian group was shot and killed which only left four people, including Emma, from the group. Thanks to the locals they were able to find a hiding spot until help arrived. It wasn't great, but it was better than being killed. The people that inhabited Olara were similar to humans with exception of the green hair and blue blood.

They were all filthy. Many of them had injuries and all of them were starving. Emma had been wearing the same clothing for five days. She remembered she had her hair in a ponytail, but she could feel the stray hairs sticking to forehead and neck due to the sweat. The planet was incredibly humid and rained more than the Amazon Rainforest it seemed. It did make finding drinking water easy. That was the only positive so far.

"Anything?" Cody, one of the remaining people from her group, asked. He sat down next to her and drew his knees to his chest. He was younger than Emma and this was the first time he had been away from Earth. She could tell it had been quite the difficult adjustment, but nevertheless, she liked Cody.

Emma shook her head. "Not yet."

"Zuri mentioned you used to be a member of Starfleet. M-Maybe you can try and talk to the leaders? Say this is an offical Starfleet mission and if they don't help us get home we'll come after them." Cody said.

"Used to is the key word there. That's not how Starfleet works, Cody. If anything that'll piss them off more and probably kill us. Zuri also needs to keep her mouth shut." Emma said rather sharply. The last thing she needed was someone announcing her business. "Besides, I don't have any Starfleet identification."

That wasn't the complete truth. Emma did have something that was associated with Starfleet. Her husband's old emblem was pinned to her tank top under her shirt. It still wouldn't help the predicament they were in. She placed her hand against her shirt to make sure she could still feel it there.