Chapter Six

"Are you out of your mind, Jim?" Leonard yelled at Jim inside the ready room. "I'm a doctor! Not a damn explorer."

Emma snickered to herself quietly while she watched Leonard throw one of his usual tantrums when Jim came up with an idea that he didn't like. She sat back in her seat and took another bite of her energy bar. "But what if someone gets hurt?"

"Then beam them up to me. I'll be happy to assist them with all the medical equipment I have aboard the Enterprise." He told Emma.

"And if we can't beam them up?" She asked.

"How are you being so nonchalant about this? The lizard people-" Leonard ignored Emma's question.

"Their names are the Lacertilia. Lizard people could be seen as offensive." Spock said.

"Whatever." Leonard said, still very annoyed. "Why can't the Lacertilia people explore their own planet? Why do we have to be guinea pigs?"

"If you read the report I sent you, you would know that they're a very cautious species. They have no weapons or defenses. Besides Starfleet sent the mission to us directly." Jim explained.

They were currently hovering above a planet called Onyx. They had discovered the planet only a few years ago by mistake. They thought the planet was entirely inhabited until they were greeted by six foot lizards walking on their back legs. Emma could still remember the look on Chris' face. The universal translator had only been able to understand a few of the words that the Lacertilia spoke. Ever since then Nyota had been working with other linguists to translate the entire language. They spent two weeks the species learning everything they could about the planet before offering them a place in the Federation.

The planet was primarily tropical. There were no buildings. Only plants and water. The Lacertilia lived in dens they dug out underground or sometimes in the water. They were peaceful people, but also timid. The only weapons they had were the claws they had on their hands and feet. Because of this they had only discovered less than 20% of their planet. They had no idea what laid beyond their homes. That was where the crew of the Enterprise came in. The leader of the planet had contacted the Federation and asked them if they would send Starfleet out to explore the planet for them.

It was an odd request, but everyone was mostly excited. With the exception of Leonard. They had left Earth two weeks and had yet to discover anything of interest. Most of the crew were anxious to walk along a surface that wasn't the inside of the Enterprise. Emma could already imagine the feeling of the sun and non recycled air against her skin. However, it would be her first off world mission as the Chief Science Officer. It would be up to her to curate a small team that she seemed responsible enough to complete the mission.

"We will meet at the transport in an hour. Everyone in this room will go down to the surface with me as well as a few security officers. Emma, did you get my request about your group?" Jim asked.

Emma held up her PADD. "I'm working on choosing a few people now."

"Good. Make sure you pack water and some snacks. I don't know how long we'll be down there. I'll see you all soon." Jim dismissed everyone.

Emma stood up from the chair she was lounging back in just as Leonard uncrossed his arms and let them fall to his side in defeat. Sometimes she really wondered why he joined. He hated space, but then she remembered his ex-wife. He wanted to get as far as he could from her. She also knew he was good under pressure. No matter the amount of patients he had or how gruesome the injuries were, it never seemed to faze him.

"Why do you look so happy?" Leonard's voice brought her out of her thoughts.

She froze. She didn't want to exactly tell him that it was because of him. She was scared he would take it the wrong way. So, she lied. Well, it was half of a lie. "I'm just happy to see land again. Why are you so cranky?"