Chapter 2: Didn't Mean To Stare

"Look at you! Slowly becoming a natural!"

This is probably the fifth time this week where Ao'nung has fell face plumented down to the ground because of his attempt in riding a Direhorse. First being introduced to this thing and he thought it'd be as simple as riding an ilu, and considering his arm strength already he expected this to be easier.

How fucking wrong was he.

He can never seem to get some type of balance on this thing! Guess he can see how the Omaticaya tails are useful for them, it's thin and can ease with balance, but Ao'nung's tail is only useful more on water to move and that's mainly it.

It's sure being put to use now.

It also doesn't help that his forearm is broad, so it catches more wind to blow him back like some damn parachute, unlike the thin arrow-like-arms of the Omaticaya.

So you could say Ao'nung is not adapting as quick as he'd like to, but he's definitely not alone in that.

At least he managed to walk with the direhorse, Rotxo can't even last on it without plummeting to the ground. So Kiri has been giving him extra attention on training him, while Lo'ak has been a guide to Tsireya - who seemed to catch onto it quicker than the three of them combined. She loses her balance occasionally, but she's adapting which is what matters really.

Perhaps Ao'nung just needed a bit more of a guidance on how to do this, and let's just say Tuk isn't exactly one for patience for the most part.

"You have to hold on tight!"

"I do!" Ao'nung groans, annoyedly brushing the grass from his body with a pointed glare to the clearly impatient girl, "Maybe you're not that good of a teacher."

"Maybe you just lack the skills of our clan."

There's no way Ao'nung is being insulted by a little girl right now.

Glaring to her, Ao'nung takes a deep breath to mellow himself down before looking around - seeing Tsireya calmly on her direhorse with Lo'ak easily guiding her on the side with a smile, and Kiri laughing to Rotxo once again meeting - this time a puddle of mud - on the ground.

So far, these three siblings are the only ones who been actively helping the metkayina guests adapt here, except for the eldest son. The hut across the shack where the three are staying has been echoing with hisses and gentle assurance that it'll be better soon, assuming that's where he's being treated. Ao'nung has not seen him properly once since he got here, only a faint glimpse one night where he couldn't sleep and saw someone leaving the hut quietly - A tall, slim yet muscular Omaticayan boy.

Ao'nung only saw him briefly, since the mysterious sibling was walking down the village, only offering his back the view for Ao'nung to linger in curiosity.

He hasn't seen him since.

From what Ao'nung has overheard from the three siblings, Neteyam is healing well and quickly, no doubt joining them soon during this training period once he gains his full strength back - to which he's been working on it with his parents.

Jake and Neytiri are seen around only occasionally, mainly when it involves checking up on them.

So for the most part, Ao'nung is more familiar with Tuk than anyone else. Kiri was by his side often in the start, but after noticing how Rotxo was having quite the difficulties, she preferred giving him more of her attention. Lo'ak and him aren't always seen eye to eye, not as rivalry, but mainly with just each other's presence. Lo'ak doesn't bother with him, and Ao'nung doesn't bother with him either.

It's a mutual understanding.

So Tuk has been more of his saving grace.

Until she loses her composure.