Lifeboats | Thomas Andrews

trigger and content warnings:

anti-capitalist undertones

── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ──

1910: During a meeting with J.P. Morgan, the main financial backer of the White Star Line and President of the International Mercantile Marine, Thomas Andrews learns the hard way that those who have the money make the rules.

( Alternatively, the day that the fateful decision was made to provide Titanic with a number of lifeboats incapable of carrying all those on board to safety in the event of a tragedy. )

── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ── ⠀⠀ ──

⠀

"Mr. Andrews, in the expert opinion of an esteemed man such as yourself, how many lifeboats should our dear Titanic possess?"

Titanic'𝘴 chief designer fiddled absentmindedly with the pen in his hand, pondering the query briefly before his mind arrived at a suitable answer. His eyes flickered upwards to meet the piercing stare of John Pierpont Morgan, the financial magnate to whose mercy the entirety of America's economy was beholden. This was hardly his first encounter with the infamous Robber Baron, and yet, Thomas still found himself quailing under this man's hawkish gaze.

For the briefest of moments, Thomas was surprised that his mentor, Alexander Carlisle, was not the recipient of this query. Surely, as Master Shipbuilder, the man was far more equipped to provide a satisfactory answer than he?

Then, he realized a crucial fact: this was a test. He could not fail it. Failing this test meant losing the respect of J.P. Morgan, and by extension, the entirety of elite society.

Thomas gulped, taking a deep shaky breath before uttering his response in what he prayed was a confident tone.

⠀⠀⠀

"Thirty-two lifeboats ought to suffice." The young shipbuilder was surprised by how steady his voice sounded; given his present company, there was a very real possibility that his words — and his courage — would falter. "Therefore, in the unlikely case of an emergency, all passengers would be guaranteed some semblance of safety."

⠀⠀⠀

Mr. Morgan's brows furrowed, providing a blessed indication that the elderly economic tycoon was genuinely 𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔤 his proposal. So too was White Star Line chairman 𝐉. 𝐁𝐫𝐮𝐜𝐞 𝐈𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐲, who frowned, his eyes darting back and forth between Mr. Morgan and Thomas Andrews. Beside Mr. Ismay, Master Shipbuilder Alexander Carlisle donned an 𝒖𝒏𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 expression as he observed the entire affair.