9. Will to Fight

A fierce fight gets fiercer, and the opponents give their all

All they could hear was a roaring laughter echoing on the whole canyon.

"See Your Highness, I'm never wrong", Jin Huang said breathlessly; he really seemed to be enjoying himself beyond belief. "I told you your strength was your weakness! I was referring to Crimson Rain Sought Flower of course; now look at you all slumped on the floor, all the will to fight gone."

There's no banquet in this world that doesn't come to an end, the words started floating around inside Xie Lian's mind; but, I will never leave you. That's right!

Xie Lian got up slowly, grabbing at Tayang's grip with even more force and resolve; he breathed in deeply, then lifted his eyes to give Jin Huang a deadly look.

"San Lang always said I gave him a reason to live", he said, "Instead, HE gave me reason to live. San Lang could never be my weakness!" I am forever your most devoted believer.

Jin Huang didn't seem fazed at all seeing Xie Lian getting up. "And this pathetic sword too!", he laughed some more, adding, "Your Highness, you might not know this, so I'll tell you." He paused, seeming to think how to say what he was about to say. "Tayang would work against me, yes, but to unleash its powers, you'd need to have a heart demon – "

But before he even finished his sentence, Xie Lian's sense of presence became oppressive, emanating a terrifying dark aura, like gathering clouds before a storm; a killing intent impossible to be drawn back. Even Feng Xin and Mu Qing, who knew Xie Lian well and have seen him fighting countless times, never saw something like it.

"Y-Your Highness?", they called hesitantly.

"A heart demon eh?", Xie Lian replied, then smiled coldly, "And who told you I don't have one?"

It wouldn't be impossible for Xie Lian not to have a heart demon; in fact, right after his second banishment, he was monitored for a long time by some heaven officials, afraid he'd turn to demonic cultivation. The fall of XianLe, the human face plague, almost becoming A White Clothed Calamity... and now... Hua Cheng.

Tayang emitted a fierce glimmer and a quiet moan, and snapped, becoming two identical swords on Xie Lian's hands, like a shuang jian, a set of swords meant to be used dual-wielded! That somewhat bulky sword became two with perfect grip and balance; Feng Xin and Mu Qing were looking at it unblinkingly, and even Jian Huang seemed surprised.

"Oh? I must admit, you got me there! I never knew my old sword would be capable of such tricks", he paused, then smiled again, "That's more like it! That's more exciting. But, Your Highness, do you think that'd be enough, two blades and that's it?"

"There are people beyond people, and heavens beyond heavens", Xie Lian replied, "There's always someone better than you, and today I'll show you that's me."

Jian Huang was taken aback by these brazen words, but his reaction was more of annoyance, and he furrowed his brows. Xie Lian did a bow and arrow stance, and swung both swords diagonally around his own body with expertise and precision, mighty sure of his movements. Naturally a martial artist like him would be skilled at dual-wield fighting.

He smiled wildly, "If two swords are better than one, well there's only one way to find out!"

I don't care if anyone else is disappointed. But to some, the very existence of a certain person in this world is in itself, hope. Xie Lian was ready to rebuke heaven and earth, and shake the entire world!

He attacked, fast as lightening, brandishing both swords slashing downwards, upwards, left and right, perfectly coordinated; circulating and pirouetting around Jin Huang, who could just block in defence, never attacking. Now, Xie Lian had clearly the upper-hand, his opponent breaking into a sweat, not even able to speak.