Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Thousands of Butterflies

"Because I have a beloved who is still in this world."

Hearing this, Xie Lian was stunned. He seemed to have heard this somewhere before.

Hua Cheng continued, "My beloved is a brave, noble, and gracious special someone. He saved my life; I’ve looked up to him ever since I was young. But, I wanted to catch up to him more, and become an even stronger person for him. Although, he might not remember me well. We never really talked. I want to protect him... If your dream is to save the common people, then my dream, is only you."

"But...you won’t...be able to rest in peace...like this…?"

Hua Cheng answered, "I pray to never rest in peace."

A memory appeared in Xie Lian's head. "If your beloved knew you couldn’t rest in peace because of him, he might feel guilty and troubled."

Hua Cheng, "Then I just won’t let him know why I haven’t gone."

Xie Lian, "After having seen so much, it’d be known sooner or later,"

Hua Cheng, "Then I won’t let him find out I’m protecting him, either."

The white robed man remembered a certain ball of ghost fire that has been with him throughout his suffering.

The same ghost of fire that blocked him in front of White No-Face and screamed jn torment when a hundred swords pierced through his heart!

He was always there! How did I not notice this?! The only person who never gave up on me...San Lang...he...

Hua Cheng said quietly, “Your Highness, I understand your everything. Your courage, your despair; your kindness, your pain; your resentment, your hate; your intelligence, your foolishness. If I could, I would have you use me as your stepping stone, the bridge you take apart after crossing, the corpse bones you need to trample to climb up, the sinner who deserved the butchering of a million knives. But, I know you wouldn’t allow it."

Xie Lian's eyes became blurry as he stammered in his speech, clutching desperately on the fading ghost king's robes.

"...Alright, don’t say any more, I get it...but, but don’t be like this, alright? San Lang? I...I’ve borrowed so much spiritual power from you that I haven’t returned yet. And, I’m actually not done saying all that I wanted to say earlier, there’s still so much. It’s been so long since anyone listened to me talk, won’t you stay? Don’t...actually do this. I won’t be able to take it. Twice, it’s been twice already! I really don’t want there to be a third time!"

Hua Cheng had already vanished from this world because of him!

"To die in battle for you is my greatest honour."

This time, Xie Lian's tears fell down on his cheeks like a waterfall. His heart hammering against his chest, afraid of what will happen next.

He pleaded, "You said you would never
leave me."

Hua Cheng wiped the tears with his thumbs yet they were pouring nonstop. How can Gege be so pretty even when crying?

He replied, "There is no banquet in this world that doesn’t come to an end."

"But, I will never leave you. I will come back. Your Highness, believe me."

When Xie Lian tried to touch the other's face, he was startled when his fingers went through air.

He eyes met Hua Cheng's soft gaze that filled with love that the man wanted to drown in. The ghost king's lips move, seemingly saying something yet no voice can be heard.

San Lang!

In his last attempts, Xie Lian reached out in an attempt to hold the man that stole his heart closer to his embrace yet before he knew it, Hua Chengzu shattered into thousands of butterflies.

-

:(