Chapter 8

Chapter 8 - Fourth Month

Xie Lian practically lived in the Ghost Kings' resting place.

While slept, stayed, and spent his time right beside the sleeping beauty; all of his living necessities such as eating and bathing were carried out at his broken and old cottage.

Of course there is also his job as the Heavenly Emperor that keeps him from Hua Cheng for a while.

He Xuan, despite his lack of friendliness and unsociable persona, he actually came to visit Xie Lian once a week to keep him company.

Most of the time he would sit on the large rock and sleep soundlessly, on other times he would respond in short sentences to Xie Lian.

Not that the Heavenly Emperor minded. Not at all. In fact, he is grateful for his simple presence to keep him company.

"Don't you have any heavenly duties you need to do?" He Xuan asked, tossing a ripe apple towards the white cladded figure.

Xie Lian reflexively caught it in one hand and doubtlessly took a bite on the fresh apple.

"I will visit the Heavenly capital after this." He replied, wiping his wet handkerchief on Hua Cheng's face.

Then there is silence. On the sound of wet cloth being dampened and the nature singing were only heard.

Soon, Xie Lian was finished. He bid his goodbyes and stepped towards the large circle marking on the wall.

"By the Heaven Official’s Blessings, No Paths are Bound!" He said as he gently pushed the circle.

It then opened to see a hallway. He left and tossed the dice only to fail getting two threes. He tried again and eventually failed.

He Xuan snickered. "You must've ran out of Hua Cheng's luck."

Xie Lian gave an awkward smile before tossing the dice once again. This time, he managed to teleport from the place.

-

By the time he reached the Palace of Ling Wen, he was stunned to see the condition of it. It looked like a storm happened inside the room.

Papers are scattered all over the room with almost no place to stand, brushes also scattered among the white sheets, some black ink spilled staining a few nicely written documents, palace workers worked on getting their job done rather than cleaning, and most of all, Ling Wen sat infront of her desk with black dark circles under her eyes.

Xie Lian does not have the heart to step on some documents, and so he raised his voice and called out to her.

"Ling Wen!"

The female instantly recognized the voice. She looked up from her work only to frown at the small figure of Xie Lian from a distance.

"Your Highness, what are you doing over there?" Ling Wen raised up from her seat and attempted to go towards him.

Xie Lian immediately waved his hand. "No you don't have to go here! We can talk like this. I don't want to ruin your hard work."

"Your Highness, the papers can be easily pushed aside." Ling Wen responded.

"I don't want to impose." Xie Lian smiled sheepishly. "I simply thought that Ling Wen might've called it an 'Organized Mess'."

She stretched her arms and within a few seconds, the papers flew towards the walls, clearing a path for the Heavenly Emperor.

"Nonsense. While those files are the least of my concerns, the important ones are on my desk piled up Your Highness."

"Oh..."

Ling Wen took short strudes towards him and said, "I believe General Pei Ming wanted to speak to you regarding the last mission he had. Apparently, another one of his women became a Wrath demon."

-

:)