Chapter 13: The Trio's Trial

MORRIE

MORRIE

IT WAS all part of the plan. With most seniors backing out from the prospect of joining the Quadetective Tournament, it wasn't that difficult to identify who among their juniors would be considered for the prestige of becoming the House champion. Not everyone was an achiever, and not everyone wanted the burden of responsibility. So narrowing down the list wasn't hard.

For Holmesians, Harriet was a top contender. It's only logical to assume that she would be considered based on her academic performance and the extracurricular stuff that we got involved into. That's why I had to ask Aiden Alterra to dig some dirt on her (where he failed miserably). Since I couldn't rely on the Adlerian, preparing a Plan B was a sound move.

All we needed to do was anticipate how someone like Harriet would react to a threat and how we could limit her moves so she would be driven into a corner. As expected, she got instantly pissed by the threat and unsurprisingly accused our House of being behind it. Her next step would be to try and foil our plan.

Knowing the circumstances would come to that point, it was easy to set everything in motion.

Harriet was akin to a bull. Once she saw a red cape, she would charge at it without any serious consideration. When Aiden messaged me to meet him, I already had a inkling that the impatient Holmesian must have reached out to him and used our connection to lure me to a trap. The meeting place he chose—near the abandoned clock tower—was already suspect, so my mind ran through dozens of possibilities on how the encounter would end up. Expectedly, they immobilized me and brought me to a place where help was out of reach. When Harriet began interrogating me, that's when I laid out my trap. I told her everything that she needed to know and she fell for it. Whether or not she doubted any word that escaped my lips, I was unaware.

Of course, I got some help from my brother. He's the one who ensured that the trio would be able to enter the Manor. The success of our trick depended on it. He's also the one who escorted them to the library. We didn't want them roaming around mindlessly in our territory, so it's better to bring them to where we wanted them to be.

"Do you really want me involved in this plan?" my brother Arturius had asked being oriented about it. "Sayang. Gusto ko pa naman kayong makitang magtagisan ng galing sa tournament. If you two have unfinished business, this is the perfect opportunity for you to settle it."

"Don't worry, I can beat her in academics," I had replied. "Besides, you want the two of us to clash because you strongly believe that she's going to be the Holmesian alumnus' choice. You want to engage in a proxy war with him and probably beat him again to make a statement."

"You got me." His lips had twisted into a smirk. "But a teensy bit of a deep-seated rivalry will make the competition more interesting. Houses Moriarty and Holmes have been enemies since the founding. Everyone's gonna be interested if they can beat us this year! Papatok 'to sa mga mahilig gumawa ng kuwento at magpainit sa laban."