Chapter 12. Couple things

Author's note:
Welcome to the last chapter before the epilogue! It’s the longest one yet, so I hope you all enjoy!
.
.
.
.
.
.
Tyler’s bond with Laurel was gone. It had dissolved like foam on a cappuccino the moment Wednesday told him she loved him. At least that was how Tyler had described it, letting his true colors as a barista show. It was almost cheap in Wednesday’s opinion—that the answer all along had been something as cliché as “the power of love.”

Tyler, however, thought it was fitting. The Hyde was a creature driven by emotion, so it made sense that love—the most powerful feeling in existence—would be the key to taming him. Wednesday couldn’t argue that point, not after experiencing firsthand what a merciless slavedriver love could be.

“Will you stop looking at me like that?” she asked.

Tyler’s eyes widened in surprise, and Wednesday couldn’t help thinking that no one should be allowed to look that innocent. “Like what?”

“Please, it’s evident that you want nothing more than to mock my appearance.”

“That’s not true,” he said earnestly. “You look amazing. Color suits you.”

Wednesday fingered her plum-colored jacket in disgust. “Don’t get used to it.”

Enid had all but forced her into these nauseating garments. That had been her condition—that she be allowed to dress Wednesday until they resumed classes at Nevermore. Wednesday had sworn to herself, right then and there, that she would never again negotiate with Enid—no matter how dire the circumstances. She would sooner make a deal with the devil himself.

The clothes made her flesh crawl as if coated with ants, but at least her skin hadn’t begun to peel off her bones yet. Enid had mercifully chosen darker hues—an oversized sweater and puffed jacket, both in plum, paired with a plaid skirt of purple and blue. That didn’t make the experience any less miserable, though.

Tyler shrugged. “It doesn’t matter to me what you wear. You look amazing in anything.”

“Flattery is for the weak,” she said tonelessly. “You’re sadly mistaken if you think it will have any effect on me.”

“It isn’t flattery. It’s the truth.”

Wednesday looked away, not knowing how to react to the adoration in his eyes. She hated that she believed him.

The path they were on was growing increasingly rugged. She started to climb over a large boulder, but the cursed skirt made it cumbersome. She wondered irritably what brainless cretin had created such a scanty garment. A good skirt was meant to reach to your knees—that was simply common sense.

“Here.” Tyler quickly pulled himself up and extended his hand to her.

She considered refusing his help, but thought better of it. Cursed skirt. She started to raise her injured hand before retracting it and using the other instead. Tyler hauled her up easily, but the flash of pain in his eyes didn’t escape her notice. Why did that bother her so much? She usually thrived on people’s agony.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly, glancing at her bandaged palm. “All I ever seem to do is hurt you.”

“I’ve already told you that I’m fine, Tyler.”

“But if it leaves a scar—”

“A scar would be welcome,” she cut in firmly. “I’ve actually pondered giving myself one for years now. They’re highly beneficial for intimidation tactics.”

Tyler shook his head, but said nothing. They continued walking in silence, keeping their gazes focused downward to keep from tripping. Wednesday wanted nothing more than to banish the hurt from his eyes, but she hadn’t a clue as to how to do it. Enid’s assessment had been correct—she really did suck at comforting people.