STAY

"NICHOLAS!" MY body jumped from the mattress.

My breath was irregular, every blast was accompanied by a rush of heartbeats. I opened my eyes wide, but my gaze was still a shadow of a cloudy day where I ran a cripple robber that grabbed Claire's purse. I still tasted a delicious dinner with professors who had the smell of drugs and piercing chemicals. When I woke up my head was full of other thoughts I did not believe.

Nicholas Hilton, the boy I had been questioning for his existence, was bound by a secret organization that made him quite undetectable anywhere. I really did not think that he had disappeared all this time because he was trying to hide himself from the world, to make it harder for Terrence Falcon who had been trying to find him so he could wipe Wizard back from his father's lab.

All this sounded so complicated and difficult to understand, that I had a serious ache in my head that kept me squeezing my forehead hard enough. I wish a nurse came in now, so I could complain about what I felt this morning. I realized my assumption about the light day was totally wrong as I looked at the clock on the wall that showed at seven in the evening when the sun was just about to set. I had slept so long, even breakfast had changed with lunch and dinner was coming soon, maybe soup again, like the day before.

I tried to look around, but my vision was so blurry and shaking like an earthquake was surrounding the hospital. I could hear the buzzing through my ears that did not even exist, signifying that my vertigo was getting worse and I was getting weaker. The infusion bag hanging on the post beside my bed had been replaced with a new one, still fully loaded, sadly the tube that transferred the liquor to my vein had a fold that I could not justify because I did not understand why the nurse could mistake the installation of the infusion bag.

I also just realized that I was not breathing as usual anymore, because a hose to deliver oxygen circled my head and pierced my two nostrils that helped me breathe easier. I did not know what happened, as I looked around I realized that I was in a different room, where there were no three beds beside the bed I was sleeping on, not because they had made it home, but because I had been moved to the room for one person where it meant I was in an emergency situation. My heart rate was recorded on a small screen that washed up on the nightstand.

Just as I was going to worry about it, two nurses came in and brought me my dinner. They looked all right, I could not imagine how tired it was to take care of a lot of sick people while they should be able to enjoy their youth out there. And to be sure, they were so bored to see me here, though in a different ward but I could tell that everyone here was praying for my recovery just so they did not want to see me here again.

I was right about the dinner the hospital had brought me. Soup and a small chicken filet that was super soft to facilitate the digestive system to receive the object. The soup was still smoked indicating its temperature was still too hot to pour over my tongue. The color of the crystal broth showed broccoli, cabbage, carrot and celery pieces and diced meatballs. I chose to leave it on the table, at least until the two nurses finished checking my current condition, they left the room again and I felt a sense of solitude again.

Not long after they left the room, one of them came back with another figure that I knew very well. Mother came alone this time. She no longer wore strange and fancy clothes that seek the world's attention. She was dressed in a dark gray coat and her face looked gloomy and tired, however she kept trying to smile in front of me.

"Carlouise, sweetheart," she called me gently, though her thin smile was still exposed on her face but I know she saved the bad news implied from her curved forehead.

"Mom," I replied tiredly, I lowered my eyes because everything looked shaken every time I blinked. "I think my illness is getting worse."

"You just need more treatment," my mother said, her hand stroking my long, messy hair mane. For the first time after graduation day, my mother did that. I smiled again. "You'll be alright soon."