1: 𝗯𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗵𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗿𝗮𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗴

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

𝗢𝗰𝘁. 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮

Constant vibrations interrupted my sleep. Once my body was alert as to what was going on, I couldn't help but mentally roll my eyes.

Pushing away the faux fur comforter, I patted around for the pro max iPhone with closed eyes. The device was ringing for the second time when I felt it on the empty side of my king size mattress. Knowing exactly why I was receiving the wake up call didn't take away from the attitude brewing in me. By the second, it worsened.

"Yes, ma'am-"

"Happy birthday, beautiful girl! Happy, happy, happy, birthday, from me to you! I wish you were here with me, so we could party too! Whew! I love you, Mariah." Muting the phone, I sat up from the bed as my mother yelled through the device. The off brand restaurant style birthday song was a tradition with her.

Today was indeed October 20th and I was officially twenty-three years old. At least that what's the calculations come up to. Sometimes I feel like I'm pushing forty-three instead.

Heading to the master bathroom, I listened to her annual speech of love and affection. Wishing me the best birthday ever while also informing me about her plans to wire money today via Western Union. A few years ago that was the key to making me smile, but today? Eh. Not so much. I make my own money and do very well through college and dividend stocks.

But it's the thought that counts. Plus, it's a very nice gesture when the money is essentially free.

"Thank you, mama. I love you too."

"Oh, God, girl. You don't sound, not once ounce of excited. It's your day, what's wrong? I know you got something planned."

Yeah, I did. And that was simply work and dinner with my girls here in Atlanta.

"Sure." I told her with a small laugh. Hitting the faucet, I allowed the water to warm up as I went to retrieve a clean facial rag. Then taking out my morning routine products of choice. The alarm I had set for this morning wasn't due for another two hours and twenty minutes. But now that I'm up, there's no way I'll be able to fall back asleep.

"I don't want to hear that, Mariah. Look, I'm heading to Publix now and I'll send you the screenshot once it's finished. Where are you having dinner tonight?"

"I'm still stuck on Juicy Crab. I've had a taste for seafood for weeks now." Shaking my head, I muted the phone, not able to take the taste in my mouth any longer.

Once I had my desired amount of toothpaste on my electronic toothbrush, I began to scrub my tongue and brush my teeth. Making sure to tackle my inner cheeks, the roof of my mouth, and my gums. My mother was steadily talking about different places she knew of out here, but nothing sparked my interest.

Rinsing my mouth out with the TheraBreath mouth rinse, I unmated the phone for the last time just as she was asking about my little sister. "Have you spoken to Mimi?"

"We talked twice yesterday. She's prepping for a test in Calculus and a paper in her English III class. I told her I'll help her with the paper. She on her own with that math though."

Milan Vaca, also known as Mimi, was my thirteen-year-old sister. She stays in Miami, Florida with her father, Viktor Vaca. Viktor was also my mother's ex-husband that won custody of my younger sister due to our mother's unstable...capacity.

Lynn Vaca formerly Ms. Lynn Fleming, wasn't a bad parent, at all. However, to a judge and state regulations, she lacked significantly. Her heart was in a good place, but that wasn't good enough. Even in recent years, Lynn has made a great deal of change. From her living arrangements to her work lifestyle.