7: 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙛𝙩 *

𝗞𝗗

Linwood Heights of East Point always felt like home. From the same apartments and homes that have been in the area for over fifty years. To the corner stores, food joints, or even the crackheads that have been around since I was coming up — everything felt familiar. 

As I pulled the Tahoe into the back parking lot of Ray's Shack, Penny's eyes found mine. I waited for her to say something, but she only watched. Entertained as I put the blacked-out vehicle in reverse to back into the closest parking spot near the kitchen's door.

I had called in a favor last minute for our table. While I knew this was "only dinner" according to her — it meant something to me. 

Ray's Shack was owned by my uncle Raymond Keiz, which was the brother of not only my mother but also Jessy and Mari's mom. He's watched the four of us grow into young adults. To now, when everyone but Jess, is knocking at thirty.

"What happened to a small meal..? With a lil' drink or some?" Penny asked with a smirk on her face.

"I got a favor here," Putting the truck in park, I hit the interior lights, putting them dim setting before leaning back in the seat. 7:49. I had under fifteen minutes before my promised time, so if I wanted to, I could finish this blunt. Hoping the weed would activate an appetite. Truthfully? I wasn't hungry, but I knew food would be the key. Somehow, I felt full at the moment. From what? I didn't know. Weed and water had been my best friend all day long.

"They sell chicken tenders, lil' mama. If you want a lil' kid's meal or some. That'll make you feel better?"

"Boy, damn you," Penelope undid her seatbelt before leaning back. Only inches away from my face, as she got comfortable. "You always smell so good."

So do you, mama.

I know the words were spoken in my head, not wanting to scare her off. But I couldn't ignore her intoxicating scent. The sweetness of it plus the hint of vanilla — had me licking my lips. I know it was one of her body oils instead of a bottle of perfume. She applied it in front of me. The smell lingers.

"Thank you, Barbie," Penelope smacked her teeth making me laugh lowly. "You wanna hit again?" I asked, holding out the blunt, but quickly she shook her head. Grinning at the feeling floating through her body — I could tell from her eyes how high she was.

Indeed the weed had done something. I lit the blunt for myself. But then waved it out, just to test if she'll take it. And of course, Penny took it. Inhaling a few pulls before handing it back. At that moment we formed a back-and-forth motion.

"Hold on." Dropping the blunt in the ashtray, I closed the lid before grabbing my phone, keys, and double checking my pockets so I could exit the driver's side.

"You're really, really, really sweet, you know?"  Penelope asked as I held her door open. Making sure she got out easily with my assistance.

"You give a lot of compliments, you know?" I mimicked, making her laugh.

"Alright, ugly ass. Don't worry, I won't say nun' else."

See? If she was mine, we wouldn't take another step. Her smart ass mouth would have her pinned against me, but she wasn't. So I simply smirked, grabbing the door handle for the back entrance. Through the kitchen is my usual route anywhere I go. The front brings too much attention and I prefer to travel low-key.

"You so funny, Barbie."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••