17: 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘃𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗺

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

three days 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿:

A sigh of relief left passed my lips before a sequel of excitement occurred. Silent tears welled my eyes, but I patted them dry. Not wanting to cry, but the happiness was unbearable.

This morning I set up my MacBook, using the Teams confirmation to conduct my interview with Mrs. Chandler, Mr. Williamson, and their Content Team Leader, Jimmy Winchester. The panel interview wasn't the most traditional and with my most recent employment being an internship through Clark Atlanta — there wasn't much to answer, but more to confirm.

The three took turns asking questions and throwing out scenarios for me to answer. Nothing felt overwhelming in the moment. The forty minutes went by in a blur and gave me a proud feeling about how I handled the conversation.

The second I closed the laptop, I stood from my faux fur stool inside my walk-in closet. Rubbing my hands down the front of my thighs. Easing the sight ache from the forty-five-minute seating. The decor inside my closet made this the perfect step up.

The idea of checking my emails crossed my mind, but on a high, I decided against it. And instead, I plugged the MacBook up to get a full battery.

Still left on the agenda was Landrum's final exam essay. Which only needed its final paragraph and works cited page completed. The five thousand words came easily with the conversation surrounding journalism's rights and the freedom of speech in the media industry.

"Knock, knock. Can I come in?" Turning my head, I found Lynn standing in the doorway. A smile spread across her face as my mother took me in.

Indeed, I had taken my time with hair, makeup, and choosing an outfit this morning. Picking out a light gray button-down with khaki bottoms. It was simple, but charming and made the perfect first impression with the hair and simple beat.

"Of course, I didn't realize you were up already."

"Yeah, well I just got up and heard you talking. It didn't take long to remember your interview was today," Lynn came to stand against the island. "So...how did it go?"

"Amazing," I told her, unable to hide my beam. "I don't think I've ever been so excited after an interview. It's just like, I know I got this."

The proudness reeks from her, but even then I could sense the worry in her stance.

"That was for the position in New York, right?" I was deciding on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt when her uneasy tone followed.

"Yeah, they interviewed me for the strategist position, but it's with the Paramount Media company still."

"Well, that's amazing, Mariah. It's....far. But I'm glad you're happy."

"It is far, but it's also my only option right now, ma. I can only spare about four months. By then, I need something stable and promising. I can't just sit in Atlanta, watching life go by, wishing."

"You already have a life here."

"I know." Sighing, I tried my hardest not to let her words cloud my judgment, but I'll be lying to say it hadn't crossed my mind. It's been heavy since I received the call a week ago.