6. Supposed Saviour

"Can you run?" I ask him anxiously. As if that is a question. He was unconscious.  

But to my amazement, Rowan jumps up. "Yes."  

How can he be better? I thought he was seriously injured?  

There isn't time to worry about that.  

"We need to leave. Now." 

I beak into a run, Rowan at my heels. We run through the dark tunnels, twisting this way and that.  

I grow more and more anxious at every second.  

After what seems like an eternity, the ground begins to become steeper beneath my feet.  

"Will you be okay?" I ask him. It's more a matter of climbing then running now.  

"Yes," he says again.  

After another age, I can see a faint light shining through a small gap. 

I force myself to go faster, climbing quickly up what has become a vertical rock face.  

Finally I am scrambling over the edge.  

The light, though it is the late evening, hits me as if it is as dazzling the sun.  

I squint up at the sky, which is a dark, cold blue. I don't have much time left.  

I turn around to see Rowan pulling himself up. He staggers over to me, his chest heaving. I realise that I was running incredibly fast. I wonder how a human could possibly keep up.  

I shake my head. I don't have time for this. 

"I'm really sorry. I promise to be back. Stay here," I say.  

He nods, rummaging around in his satchel, extracting the thick cocoon of material I used earlier. I didn't even know he took it with him. He sets it in front of a large rock so he will be protected from the wind.  

"It's not your fault," he says abruptly.  

I've never been good with words, and now, yet again, I have no idea what the right thing is to say. So I just nod. 

"Goodbye Storm." 

"Goodbye Rowan."

And with that, I rush away, down the steep mountain side, sprinting over the rough, uneven ground, stumbling over the heather.  

Racing the moon to The Tribe of The Highest Place.

I eventually reach the tunnel that acts as the passageway to the hollow, and for the first time since I woke up, I stop for a moment, hesitant.  

What should I say? How should I act?  

It's a mystery to me.  

I take a deep breath and step into the stone hollow. 

For a moment everything seems normal. The fire is roaring in the corner, the miniature waterfall is trickling into the small pool that sits at the base. Tribe members are milling around, drinking from the pool, warming themselves at the fire, eating game, talking to one another.  

Then someone points in my direction and shouts "It's Storm!"

Then the cheering starts. Everyone is shouting my name.  

And I really have no idea why. What did I do that was so amazing all of a sudden? Nobody ever thought anything of me before. except to hate me for all that I have done in the past.  

Then a hear a voice, Fa's deep, rough voice bellowing "Here she is! Who would of thought, my Storm, our saviour?!"  

And worst of all, he sounds proud, triumphant.  

But why?  

I think back to the times that others had actually returned from Below. Because that's what's so dangerous.  

Many have gone.  

And many have never returned.  

People had been happy, people had applauded. But not this.  

And since when have I been the saviour? 

I'm sure I would have snorted if I had even thought it any time but now. Now it confuses me.  

Fa shoves his huge frame through the crowd, pushing his way towards me. 

He grabs my arm, holding it in the air, and everyone screams wildly.  

Then he raises his voice. 

"Storm and I will now go to my cave. I have much to discuss with her," he says.  

As if by magic, the clump of people parts, and Fa sweeps past all the stares, while I walk behind him, still feeling immensely confused.  

I scan the assemble of werewolves for Dew, but I can't find her. 

My stomach drops. Has she returned? Or is she perishing Below at this very moment?  

I refuse to let myself think this. I tell myself firmly that I probably just can't spot her, or she is in our cave, sleeping.  

I chant this in my head repeatedly as I follow Fa down the short passage. We pass Dew and Sunset's vile mother's cave. She is my father's mate and deputy. 

He had Sunset with her after Ma and Dew's father died.  

I loath Bird.  

We reach Fa's large cave, and he gestures for me to sit opposite him.  

"Now," he begins, observing me from over his hands," I want you to be at the front with Bird and me tonight at the Transformation. We can show the other Tribes how talented you really are. I'm very proud of you, Storm.  

"I want you looking your best, mind. You could be a real beauty if you tried, give Sunset a bit of competition for once. I'll have Shadow do your hair." 

Shadow is my favorite Creator, she never gives me dark looks full of hatred like the others. 

But I still don't know why Fa is so proud, why everyone was cheering, why I was called the saviour.

"Why? Why am I the saviour? What did I do?" 

Fa's eyes widen in disbelief. He shakes his head. "You must be joking Storm! You killed a human!"