9. Bloodshed

I'm so sorry this took such a long time!! I've been really busy lately, so I haven't had much time to write... Who knows, maybe if I had a bit more positive feedback, I'd have updated sooner... Ha ha, one can only dream.

So here you go!! Enjoy... I hope...

I freeze. I don't know what my next move should be. But Fa's face is set, his broadsword pointing directly at my heart. 

 I glance at Rowan from the corner of my eye. I'm surprised to see that he doesn't look remotely afraid, in fact, he seems quite the opposite. He has a slightly vacant expression, as if he hasn't noticed the spear that Sunset is poised to throw at him.

She never misses. 

With in a second, I have a knife in my left hand, and I'm flinging towards the spear. It falls to the ground some metres away from her feet. 

Even  this small amount of time is enough.

I kick Rowan in the leg, hard, waking him from his daze. He blinks, staring around the clearing at the armed werewolves around us who are about to fight to kill. 

He pulls one of the swords I gave him earlier from a scabbard, and we run into attack.

Before I can even think about my next move, I  somehow throw a long, curved dagger at Night.

I gasp when it slashes his chest, opening a long, deep wound. Blackish blood spurts from the cut, and, with a dismayed look in my direction, he sprints over to me, he sword high in the air.

Next thing I know, Rowan has thrown me a sword of his own, knowing I can't fight with just a knife to protect me from the Leading Defender.

I know how to sword fight. I raise it in the way I remember being taught, balancing the weight in my stronger hand, just as Night springs at me.

There's a loud clanging sound of metal on metal as I push him back with the long blade. He manages to cut  me in arm, and I know I can't spare the time to look down at it, but I can already feel the cold liquid spreading through my stupid dress, already staining it with dark blood.

But I ignore the fiery pain just the way Fa always insisted, and carry on through the agony, ducking and swerving to avoid his broadsword.

There's a clatter as his sword falls to the ground. I take this chance to knock him down and pin his arms by his sides.

I draw a long, thin knife from my belt, and I shut my eyes as plunge the blade down and into his chest with a dull, meaty thunk. I feel the blade hit the bone, but still I push the blade down further, just as I've been taught, and I only pull the dagger from him when I see his soul come free through his wide eyes.

I get up quickly, trying to ignore the nausea.

I just killed a Tribe member.

No sooner have I thought these words, Fa looks over, and, upon seeing Night's unmoving  body, gives a cry of rage and begins to advance toward me.

As if in a dream, I numbly throw the knife which I ended Night's life with in my father's direction, and, shockingly, it hits.

He falls to the ground, made unconscious by his own daughter.

At that moment, both Sunset and Bird look over.

Their momentary distraction gives Rowan the chance to slash the Deputy in the back.

As if awoken from her daze, Bird spins around, her expression murderous, her orange eyes furious pits of fire. 

She takes her spear, and idiotically, cuts Rowan's side.

His expression amused, he watches as her face falls. She stupidly inhales the scent of his blood as it sprays her face.

Her eyes, so orange before in the heat of the battle, are now shining black.

She drops to the ground, the over-powering stench obviously too much for her.

Sunset's eyes widen as she watches her mother fall.

"Ma..."

She bends down to pick up the body of first her mother, then our father.

Just before she leaves, she turns her head in my direction.

"You will regret the day you went against our Code, Storm. Oh, you will/."

She turns on her heel, disappearing into the undergrowth, leaving the body of Night, his hazel eyes staring unblinkingly up at us.

Rowan lets out a breath. "Well that was fun," he says brightly. "That woman... Is she dead?"

"No, you just knocked her out I think. Did you know that would happen?"

"I guessed. That's was why I let her cut me."

"Well, it was a really good idea. I can't stand the thought of killing another Tribe member, no matter how much I hate them. Speaking of Tribe members, a couple will be over soon to fetch Night's body. We should go."

He nods, and we wordlessly gather up the weapons which lie strewn around the clearing and make our way down to the waters edge.

"Remember, if one of us is killed, don't stop swimming," I remind him gravely.

"I-"

The look I give him quells his protests.

"I won't."

"Good. In that case, let's go."

I step into the water without hesitation, and begin to swim.

NOTE: I'm so pleased with that cover!! Thanks @KieraLouiseTague for the help with it!! ILY!!

(Please vote if you enjoyed :D)