𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

"All right, listen up." Coach Loni said. She stood before the tennis girls, including Soraya, at the crack of dawn. "Tennis sessions will be two hours a day, Monday through Saturday. Weight training an hour, three days a week and a one hour yoga session." She told them. A girl raised her hand.

"Yes?" Coach Loni asked.

"What about 'Queen of the court'?" She asked with a smirk. The mention of the name got Coach Loni to smirk as well. "Ah, yes, our annual tradition." She nodded before glancing into the crowd, searching for a certain girl. "Kendra, as the reigning Queen, how about you school the uninitiated?" She asked the girl.

"Yeah, ok." Kendra said as she stepped forward and stood beside Coach Loni. She rubbed her hands together as she turned to the girls. "Well, it's teammate versus teammate in a series of single-elimination matches. The last two woman standing will battle it out to become queen of the court." She smiled. "You won't get any notice so just be ready whenever Coach calls." She told them, looking over at the woman to see if there was anything else that needed to be said.

"All right, ladies. Let's get to work." Coach said, letting the girls grab their things to get started. "Hicks!" Kendra and Soraya heard Coach Loni call for the girl. They looked back at the before continuing to walk away.

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

"All right now, you're all set." Nate told her client. Simone and Soraya were now in Nate's room with her and Keisha. Simone and Keisha sat on her bed with their backs against the wall while Soraya's legs laid on top of them as she laid her back on Nate's pillows. "I'll see you in class, honey." She told her.

"You really been doing hair all day?" Simone tiredly ask the girl.

Nate sighed as she took a seat in the now empty chair. "Girl, yes. The day before school starts is our busiest and most lucrative day of the year." She groaned.

"Maybe I need a side hustle." Simone spoke up. "After buying these books my bank account in on 'E'." She said, playing with the embroidered letters on Soraya's joggers. "Plus, if I can't cover my copay, it wouldn't even matter if I find a doctor to do my physical." She said in a sad tone.

"No, girl, what you need is a work study job." Keisha spoke up. "I got some connects hiring. I got you." She said, looking at her.

"Yeah. I think that'll be amazing." Simone smiled at the girl, nodding her head. "I've got this. The first day of school is about to be lit."

"Do you even have time for a side hustle?" Soraya asked her, causing them to glance over at her. Simone looked at the as if she was crazy. "Girl, do you have time for a anything? I forgot you even did tennis." Simone told her. "How do you have any hobbies with all the things you do?" She asked, basking the room in silence. When the girl didn't answer, everyone in the room stared the girl down as she just looked up at the ceiling.