Chapter 7

In the days that followed, we met up whenever we had the chance. She helped me with the online setup of my website, and we finalized her selection of clothes and accessories. As I placed my order, she prepared announcements for our two sites, and our clients discovered our new offerings. Our weekend had taken our friendship into new territory, sleeping nearly nude next to each other, it had brought us even closer.

Finding no compatible males according to my standards on dating apps, I seriously contemplated proposing an experiment to Mackenzie. English people eat anything, so she should be able to dine on my pink taco, right? And as a foodie, I've already eaten oysters, so it can't be worse, right? The week had flown by, sales were consistently on the rise, it was Friday, I was motivated, desperate, and eager. I stepped out of my store to open the neighboring door, only to find Mackenzie in the arms of a man. Discreetly, I stepped back and retreated into my fortress of solitude, my clitoris on the verge of committing suicide, ready to jump out of the window.

Mac had found herself a boyfriend.

A glance at the calendar kicked me in the ass; it was time for me to get moving and find a place to escape for the holidays. I certainly wasn't going to stay at home like an idiot in front of the TV. No! It would be better to find a hotel, and I would just stay in my room, eating and watching TV all alone... like an idiot. I was in the midst of making a reservation when Mackenzie opened the door, hanging onto the arm of the guy who was going to take her to cloud nine.

"So, here's my best, super best friend, Camille," she introduced me in English. "Camille, meet my brother, Callum."

Twice the fool, I just made a reservation without free cancellation.

"Hi," I said, using my best English accent that I've been perfecting for months.

Callum thanked me for looking out for his sister, said their parents can't stop talking about me – I might reiterate my adoption proposal – that Mackenzie can't stop talking about me to their parents – or my marriage proposal –. She blushed, avoiding my gaze. I had only good things to say about his sister, recounting her move to the neighborhood, the countless times she came to my rescue. Callum is proud of his sister, and she blushes even more; I read a silent "thank you" on her lips. Mackenzie suggested that I join them for a restaurant outing and then a club, I hesitated, not wanting to intrude, but Callum insisted heavily, like a typical guy. So, I accepted, thinking that maybe I would find someone to test whether the machinery still works.

After closing, Callum shows up in my realm, asking if he can help before making sure our two doors and gates are securely locked. I appreciate professional people, and I see that he takes his security agent job seriously. Walking towards the subway, we stop to buy sandwiches – so much for the restaurant – which we eat on the way, just to have something in our stomachs. I hope Callum doesn't intend to party all night, I've been working like crazy all day, I even managed to handle the annoying kid. Coats, hats, and scarves removed, I'm immediately captivated by something I hadn't noticed before. I know that Mackenzie is super cute, but Callum is hot. I know I shouldn't, she's my best friend, maybe even more, but... Is Callum constantly looking at me or am I imagining things? As he signals us to a table and heads towards the bar, I grab Mackenzie's hand and pull her with me, needing to talk to her quickly.

"Mac."

"Camille."

I don't have time for games!

"I need to talk to you. Since our weekend, I've been... having desires."

"Me too. So I want to give it a try."

Give it... a try?

"A try?" I ask, already losing track of my thoughts.

"Yes."