Chapter 13

"Good evening, Callum, it's Camille, Mackenzie's friend. Yeah, the one who kisses in front of everyone," I chuckled. "Am I disturbing you? Great! No, I just wanted to have a chat with you, if you're up for it."

I spend a part of the evening talking to him, getting to know him better, trying to figure out if it's worth investing time in a long-distance relationship, and I realize that we have nothing in common. I mean, absolutely nothing. He dislikes the music I like, and it's mutual, considering what he made me listen to from his favorite bands. I wouldn't say I hate it, that's a strong word, but I have a visceral aversion to it. He loves American TV shows, I don't. In an attempt to impress me, he talks about a few books he likes, and that's really unfortunate because I don't share his taste at all. He hasn't traveled much, according to him, but just hearing him mention names of cities and villages makes me dream. But that's just me, I know, I'm completely nuts. Where we completely agree is that he adores his sister. I know that Mackenzie has talked to him about me, so I open up like a book. It might sound silly, but I like him, plus he's cute, and his family seems to like me. I guess I'm going to let him have a taste of sweet Camille, just to see, but I'll have to talk to Mackenzie first to avoid any post-hookup awkwardness because she knows me well – I tend to get bored with my partners pretty quickly, no matter how British they are.

My customers are happy to see me, and I'm delighted to see them spend their money. I'm on cloud nine and I've apparently discovered the gift of ubiquity—I serve, wrap, and handle cash almost simultaneously. My Asian section is replenished and emptied immediately. I suppose Mackenzie must be pleased as well; I've seen three or four customers pass by my windows carrying bags from her boutique. I'm eager to go see my business partner. I answer a call without checking who it is, and immediately switch to English as Colleen greets me and presents an offer. One of her clients just backed out due to bankruptcy. She explains that she has similar stock to what we've purchased and suggests she could sell it to us and provide express delivery. With no one in the store, I close my door and put up a sign saying I'm next door if anyone is looking for me, then push open my neighbor's door, chatting with Colleen as Mackenzie finishes a sale and watches me, surprised. Putting Colleen on hold, I explain everything to my friend who is delighted, showing me the gaps on her clothing racks.

"Colleen, we're accepting your proposal. But we're also keeping the other order, yes, Mackenzie made several sales today and we want to keep that order. Are you sure? Thank you. How does this express delivery work? Tomorrow? Oh! Thank you so much. You're kind. I don't know, but I'll be there for the holiday season, yes. I would be thrilled. I will call you tomorrow. Thank you, Colleen."

Mackenzie looks at me, her eyes shining.

"My sweet Kenzie, I have good news, very good news, and excellent news— which one do you want?"

"I don't care, just spill it!" she exclaims impatiently.

"Colleen is sending us an order, to be delivered tomorrow. The famous order from her client. She's giving it to us at 40%, so you're going to have an enormous profit margin. Our order will be delivered this week, and we're going to have an exclusive piece that she'll present to us during the holidays. She's inviting us to a cocktail event. Now, tell me about these sales, are you happy?" I ask, heading to her storeroom to retrieve the blouse I had set aside to buy, but I come back empty-handed.

Where's my cute blouse?

"Hey, I had put a blouse there, behind," I point to her storeroom, "on a nice little hanger, right there on the left," I ask, full of hope.

"Gone!"

"How so?"

I told you, I'm slow sometimes.

"I sold it, I didn't have that size left. It flew off the shelf in an instant along with a pair of pants."