Chapter 20

My phone beeps while I'm in the line, and I answer with video.

"But, where are you?" Mackenzie asks directly.

"In line to get on the Shuttle," I reply.

"You're going back to England? Without me?" she questions, surprised.

Mackenzie gets angry, and I don't understand why. She had to see Vincent, she should even be with him by now.

"You're not with Vincent? Don't tell me you're babysitting his kid!"

"No, of course not! Where are you going?"

A loaded question, full of meaning and implications. A simple question: Colleen or Callum?

"Where's Vincent?" I insist without answering.

"He's not here. How about you?"

"I don't know. I'm not a cop; I'm not tracking him."

"I'm not talking about Vincent, Camille, I'm talking about you!"

I know, my love.

"I don't know, Mackenzie. I'm not sure anymore. I'm lost."

"You never call me by my first name, Camille. Are you okay?" she asks, concerned.

I take a moment, putting on a mask, when I see Vincent approaching behind her.

"Your date has arrived. We will talk later."

"Camille..."

I end the call, choosing to avoid seeing her with him.

Exiting the Shuttle, I drive straight ahead, aimlessly, finding solace in the countryside and small villages. My phone keeps sending notifications as I decide to stop for a meal. But before that, I take a walk and call the person who's been persistently trying to reach me.

"Goodness, Camille, where are you? I checked, you're not at my parents' or at Colleen's. No one knows you're back in England."

"Your country is so beautiful," I say in a soft, somewhat nostalgic voice. "I've come across some lovely places. I feel good."

"But... um... Where are you, Camille? Please tell me, I'm worried."

"Everything's fine, I assure you. I'm in... Rochford, by the Roach River, and I'm about to have dinner at a restaurant."

"But what are you doing there?" she laughs, unable to help herself.

"Nothing much. I'm planning to rent a room somewhere. I want to finish my vacation in England as planned. I think I will go to Shoeburyness because the name amuses me."

"Go to my parents' place, Camille, please," Mackenzie insists.

"I can't."

"Can't or won't, Camille? There's a big difference."

"Talking to my grandmother, seeing her, made me realize several things about my life. It can't work with your brother because he's here and I'm in France. Colleen also has a career; I can't settle for seeing her only on weekends."

"So what are you going to do then?"

Her voice is so gentle that I hold back tears with difficulty, it hurts so much.

"I need to take a pause from my life, Mackenzie. You, you're going to focus on yours, not let the chance for a beautiful relationship slip by. I will be here for you, your silent partner, but not right away. I'm going to step back for a while, I need to find myself."