Chapter 18

Hyunji’s hair still felt damp against her skin as she lay on her side in bed, having dressed into a fresh pair of pyjamas after taking a nice long and relaxing shower. The clock was almost nearing midnight and she could still hear the distant sounds coming from the other side of the bathroom door since Jungkook had decided to take a shower right after her. It didn’t take too long to hear the soft click of the handle and then her husband walking out in another one of his oversized t-shirts with a pair of shorts, still attempting to dry his hair with a towel. They lock eyes for a moment and then Hyunji glances back at her phone screen and the instagram feed that was displayed in front of her. 

“Couldn’t sleep without me?” Jungkook hummed, walking across their home and to the kitchen before grabbing an apple from their small fruit bowl and setting the head towel on the backrest of one of the island chairs. 

She scoffed, not just at his usual delusional comments but for leaving the towel on the chair as he chewed on the apple and began walking towards their bed. 

“You wish,” 

He shrugs and grabs his charging phone from its place on the nightstand on his side of the bed, momentarily preoccupied by his notifications as he continues to take another big bite from his apple. And the next minute he’s putting his phone back down and ruffling his hair, his eyes falling back on Hyunji who laid with her back to him, still scrolling through her phone. 

“Do you think the principal knowing makes you feel better about everything?”

The question was abrupt, catching Hyunji off guard. But she was beginning to notice a pattern, like how he tended to share whatever was on his mind rather than waiting for it to be brought up. Even so she takes a moment to answer to formulate something to say and to be honest about it. 

“I think so. It makes me feel better that I know there’s no academic consequences.” she mutters, attempting to continue to scroll through her feed even though her mind wasn’t focused on what was displayed in front of her. 

She feels the dip in the bed and the movement of the sheets. 

“I don’t think there would be, anyway. The school has no business in our personal lives.” he takes a bite from where he sit cross legged on the mattress and chews for another few seconds before glancing back over at her, “I mean even I was fucking terrified when he called us to his office today.” 

“Yeah,” 

Hyunji thinks back to the moment they were sitting in their class, all the students focused on the worksheet that they were given to complete in silence until there was a knock on the classroom door followed by their principal popping in and asking for her and Jungkook specifically. They had glanced at each other, her anxiety rising as their chemistry teacher let them go. And it was definitely at its peak when they found themselves sitting anxiously in front of the principal in complete silence, anticipating what was next before the elder man was left sighing and removing his glasses. 

I’ve heard about what has been going on back at home.” 

Hyunji could remember the way that she gulped down her saliva and gripped onto the fabric of her skirt, sharing glances with Jungkook. 

And because you are both adults, I have no obligation to get you back to your parents.” the principal continued, staring at the two frightened teenagers finally relaxing a bit. “However, I will warn you to be careful with yourselves. Your parents were understandably not happy when they came in yesterday, Hyunji.”

Of course they weren’t. 

She ran away from home for a boy she wasn’t even in love with. 

I have no idea what has encouraged you both to take this path, but please be smart about what you do. This is still a school environment, and although I am in charge of my student’s safety at school, I still hope you are making the right choices outside as well.”