TWO. Blondes and Beers

( PARADISE ON EARTH ! )

— lady, running down to the riptidetaken away to the dark side —RIPTIDE - VANCE JOY

taken away to the dark side —
RIPTIDE - VANCE JOY

"SO, WHAT ARE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS DOING TODAY?" My dad, Lewis, spoke from the other side of the kitchen aisle, baby in hand, as he directed the question to me as I was peacefully eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. My head rose from the plate when I heard his voice echo through the room, inventing a million different plans, not wanting to tell him what my friends and I would do.

"Not much; we'll probably figure out a plan at JB's house," I replied as I took the last bite of the sweet meal. I stood up from the stool and placed my plate in the sink, which would later be washed. I felt my dad's gaze, sensing I was lying, so I changed the subject. "Are you sure you don't need any more help with Charlotte?"

I switched my stare to the blond baby my dad was carrying. She had big blue eyes like her mother; she was chubby but not excessively, and you could already see little teeth starting to stick out from her gums. She just smiled at me as she played with the neck of my dad's shirt.

"Nah, it's fine; your aunt should be getting here any minute now." Just as those words finished escaping his mouth, I felt my whole body tense at the fact that I could encounter my aunt very soon. While trying to hide what I thought, I smiled and put my feet back on the kitchen tiles.

"It's a good thing I was about to leave them. Am I right, or am I right?" I sarcastically asked my dad while I walked to the front door, feeling his and my cousin's presence behind me. I spotted my shoes next to the door. I grabbed them and sat down on the cold floor, my exposed skin making contact with it, sending my whole body to chills immediately. As I was untying the shoelaces to put them on, my dad asked, expressing another sentence.

"Call me and please tell me where you are spending the night, Lara; I'm serious."  He watched me when I stood up and grabbed my backpack, ready to leave.

"You got it," I replied with a smile as my hand made contact with the gold handle of the tall white door, this one opening. I saw the unrecognizable, makeup-filled face of my aunt, Amanda.

"Well, hello, dear. Where are you going?" She shot me a smile as she slightly pushed me out of the way with her purse clutching in her arm. She hung the hat she was wearing on the white coat rack next to the entrance of my house. The annoying sound of her heels stepping on the ground as she went to take her daughter from my father's arms, not even saying hello to him.

"You know, just going out with some friends," I responded as I rocked back and forth on my feet. She was still smiling at Charlotte, cleaning tiny crusts around her mouth