𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒-𝗈𝗇𝖾

𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑    /    𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒-𝗈𝗇𝖾❛ for once in my goddamn life, i'm gonna tellthe truth

❛ for once in my goddamn life, i'm gonna tell
the truth. ❜

STELLA ROUTLEDGE WOKE UP in the morning feeling lighter than a feather. With JJ's arm wrapped securely around her in his oddly soft bed, she felt nothing more than peace. She could've swore she was on cloud nine just from his hot breath tickling her shoulder but as the flashbacks from the night previous came flooding back, she smiled brightly.

Slowly, she rolled over, smiling at JJ's peaceful, sleeping state. Bringing her hand up, she nudged a piece of his blonde hair out of his face, startling herself when she saw his eyes flutter open.

Quickly, she retracted her hand. "Sorry, I wasn't trying to wake you."

He shook his head, yawning. "It's okay." He tightened his grip around Stella's waist, causing her to let out a squeal as he pulled her into him.

She laughed. "JJ, get off me!" He didn't listen. Instead, his arm tightened around her. "JJ, seriously, we have to get up. We promised Pope and Kie—"

"Shh," he cooed before cupping her cheek and kissing her.

Stella giggled as JJ's lips moved against hers, quickly shutting her up when he slipped his tongue past her lips. Stella let out a low moan as she tugged on JJ's hair, earring a groan to rumble through his chest.

Slowly, his grip tightened around her waist and his lips fell. Stella smiled to herself before she finally grew strong enough to pull him off her. JJ frowned as he looked down on her. "J, we promised."

"Oh, come on. They'd understand." Stella eyed him. "Yeah, hearing it out loud I'm realizing how dumb it was."

Stella laughed as she pushed him off her.

JJ groaned when he hit the bed. "Not even five minutes?"

Stella shook her head, grabbing one of his shirts and pulling it over her head. "I'm leaving in ten minutes, with or without you."

JJ fell back, groaning.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

The crew—still missing John B as he was MIA—gathered in Heyward's shop. Kie worked the counter as Stella and Pope restocked the shelves, and JJ was too busy messing around to be any help. "Don't let it get in your head, bro. There's three of them and two of us. That's typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell, yeah."

"What was your thought process, Using your head?" JJ questioned Pope.

"I don't know, man. I just kinda acted off instinct. I was a cornered animal."

"Hey, Pope," Heyward shouted from the front of the shop. "Someone's here to see you."

Stella's eyes widened at the sight of Deputy Shoupe. She gazed at JJ, who slipped off the counter and wrapped an arm securely around her waist. "Evening, Officer."

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Hands where I can see 'em." Pope turned toward JJ and Stella. JJ mouthed something Stella couldn't make out.

"Whoa, Shoupe, what'd he do?"

Shoupe grabbed Pope's arms off the counter, handcuffing them behind his back. "Look at the warrant."

"You're arresting him?" asked Kie

"You're arresting my boy?"

"Shoupe, are you listening?"

As Shoupe started listing off Pope's rights, Stella saw the life drain from his eyes. "Shoupe, stop! You can't just arrest him!"

"I assure you, young lady, I can."

JJ hit the counter. "How much did they pay you, man? How much did they pay you?"

Shoupe dragged Pope outside, the Pogues following behind as they shouted and pleaded at him. Heyward held JJ back as he shouted at the man.

JJ squeezed Stella's hand as they watched Shoupe open the car door to his truck, ready to shove Pope inside.

"It wasn't him!"

Silence filled the air, only noise to be heard was JJ's strong voice at he shouted at Shoupe. Stella's head slowly cranked to face him. "It was me."

"JJ, what the hell are you doing?" Stella squeezed his hand and grabbed his arm before he pulled away from her.

"He and Stella tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because they'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." JJ grew closer to Shoupe and Pope. He turned to Pope. "I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You got too much to lose."

"JJ, what are you doing?" asked Pope.

"I'm tellin' the truth," he replied. "For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth." Shoupe eyed the two teens. "I took his old man's boat too."

"What the hell?"

"JJ, come on."

"Just shut up, Pope! Just shut up." JJ turned to Shoupe. "He's a good kid. You know where I'm from. This was all me."

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe asked Pope.

"Whole truth, swear to God," JJ interjected.

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope," Shoupe snapped.

"Yeah, that about covers it."

As soon as those words left Pope's mouth, Stella the strength in her body leave her. She would've fallen had Kiara not been holding her up.

JJ nodded, turning to see a teary eyes Stella watching him desperately. He nodded his head, mouthing the words 'it's okay'. Stella didn't believe him.

Stella watched Shoupe shove JJ into the car and the most she could do was stare. She wanted to run after him, but her feet weren't moving. She was in shock.

Kie's arms wrapped tightly around Stella. "He's gonna be okay, Stell."

Stella bit her lip, watching the truck grow smaller in the distance.

"Shit!" Pope threw his hat on the ground in anger.

"Pope?" Heyward shouted. Pope ignored him, continuing his stomping back into the building. "Pope!"

Kie rubbed Stella's shoulder. "Come on." Stella stood frozen. "Stella, come on. We need to go. We have to get ready for Midsummers."

Stella closed her eyes and sighed. She had forgotten she agreed to be Kiara's date to Midsummers. Nodding her head, Stella allowed Kiara to drag her inside. Stella's eyes remained on the road which Shoupe's truck disappeared down, all while she prayed JJ would be okay.

 Stella's eyes remained on the road which Shoupe's truck disappeared down, all while she prayed JJ would be okay