Always

"HELP!! KAZ!!" Inej screams as she bursts into flames, unable to escape a burning building. She reaches for him through the window, but someone grabs him from behind before he can get to her. He turns around to find Jordie holding him back, covering his mouth.

"You couldn't save me, and you can't save her either." Jordie says to him, while covered in spots from the disease that killed him. Kaz turns back to Inej just as the burning building collapses on top of her.

Kaz wakes up with a start, on a flat surface, panting heavily. He feels a searing pain on his back and his face contorts as he sucks in a breath.
He looks around, analyzing his surroundings and relaxes a bit once he realizes he's in his own bedroom. Not only that, but Inej is safe and sound, sleeping on the floor below him.

She wakes up quickly and notices that he is awake as well. She gets up and immediately walks over to him. "Kaz! I'm- I'm so happy you're alive I-" she stops and collects herself before continuing. "Let me change your bandages." She grabs towels, bandages, and a small bottle of antibiotics that lay on his bed. "This might hurt a bit."

She gently takes off his bandages as softly as she can, but that doesn't stop it from hurting. He groans in pain. But she hesitantly puts a hand over his, and he flinches at first, and then grips her hand back as she finishes pulling off the bandages.

Then, Inej let's takes a towel and let's go of his hand and goes into the bathroom to get it wet. He's a bit surprised to realize that he kind of liked the warmth of her skin... though it was scary at first. He smiles to himself slightly at the realization, but then goes back to his usual
grimace.

She comes back into the room with a wet towel. She silently presses the towels to his back as he winces. But after a bit, it starts to feel a bit better. "This one is going to hurt," she warns and puts the towels down. Taking out the antibiotics, she carefully rubs some onto his raw and blistered back and he takes deep breaths.

"I'll need you to sit up for this. Can you try?" She asks politely.

"Yes." Kaz answers. He twists his body around, wincing, and makes his way to a sitting position. He becomes very aware of the fact that he is shirtless and offers coldy, "I can do it myself."

"No, you can't." Inej refuses and she grabs the bandages. She seems to blush slightly at the sight of his pale, chiseled abs and looks away. Then, carefully, she begins to wrap his torso. Kaz braces himself for the horrible memories that usually come with the touch of skin, but it never comes. It actually feels nice to feel Inej's warm, gentle hands on him.

He closes his eyes and breathes deeply. And when he opens them, she is standing there in front of him, looking straight into his eyes. His heart skips a beat as they stare at each other, and then he looks away.

"I'll... I'll be downstairs if you need me." Inej states and then turns and walks towards the door. "Can- can you get dressed on your own?" She looks back at him.

"Yes." He responds and she turns and continues out the door. But really, he can't. It hurts so badly just to move.

"No," he can't stop himself from saying before she's fully gone. She turns and walks back to him. And then, in complete silence, she helps him put on a black button down shirt, a black vest, and a  crimson tie. And before she officially leaves, he calls out one more thing to her.

"Thank you, Wraith." Kaz says, looking down at his now gloved hands.

Inej hesitates, then responds. "Always."