Chapter 5 (Getting Caught)

(Nate's point of view)

I come back from work at about 10 at night, and once I get home, I make myself a sandwich. After I finish eating, I start getting ready for bed but I stop when I hear a faint scratching sound.

This isn't something new, it happened yesterday as well and I constantly felt like I am being followed but for some reason, I feel like the thing following isn't evil and it definitely isn't human but I am not scared at all.

But this time I decide to follow where that sound is coming from, I try to listen better and follow it and I reach the closet but the sounds weren't coming from inside the closet they were coming from under the closet, I slowly crouch and look under the closet, and what I see surprises me...

 it's a-a crow? An average-sized black crow, it looks cute so I reach my hand out to it and it cocks its head to the side and hops closer to my hand, and to my surprise, it snuggles close to my hand.

 I put my hand on the floor next to it and it hops onto my hand. I carry it to the table in the living room and set it there, I go to the kitchen and grab a piece of bread and crumble it for the crow, it happily jumps up and down and goes to eat the crumbs.

(observer point-of-view)

I hear Nate come through the front door and run to hide under the closet, as I run to the closet I trip and fall, I quickly scramble to my feet and make it under the closet just in time for Nate to open the bedroom door.

I start to worry because I know I was too loud, I try to stand properly but that makes even more sounds so I just stand still even though I know he heard me. I see him shuffle his feet toward me somehow he knows the sounds are coming from under the closet.

I brace myself unsure of what his reaction will be, he bends down and looks under the closet and he spots me but when I see his expression soften and he smiles I relax. 

Soon I realized that he is just lonely and just needs a friend. I think I'll stay here longer, he gives me some breadcrumbs and I immediately devour them.