Chapter XXX

"And they didn't say where they were taking you?" Mal inquires, as I speed hastily around the room to pack my things

"Nope, I guess that's why it's called a surprise." Sighing, she takes out the mass of clothes I stuffed into a duffel bag, beginning to neatly fold them. "What's wrong?" I take her hand, forcing her to sit still on my bed.

"I'm just worried about you."

"So is everyone in sight, but I'm fine. I know you're scared but I really need this." Ever since Ajax declared he was whisking Damien and I away to a remote lodge, I've found that fear has been quickly shaped into excitement.

"They can't take you anywhere closer than the fucking woods? I just think you're safer here, with a million guards for protection."

"It isn't a protection thing though. It's a friend's holiday, a last trip away before the wedding and honestly I need it." If I have to try on one more extravagant wedding dress, I may just lose it. "Besides, Delphine is already flying out to meet us there."

Okay not exactly true, and part of me does feel bad about lying to Mal but this secret can't be spilled to more people than it already has. I don't regret telling my parents everything, but I know the risk of it getting out increases with each person that knows.

"Okay, just make sure you wear a lot of sunscreen. We can't afford the blushing bride to be coming abc painted a splotchy red." I take the large bottle from her, stuffing it into the bag.

"Thank you for taking care of me."

"Always, I just hate not knowing how to reach you in case...nevermind."

"No, hey what's wrong?" She tries to dismiss me, shaking her head slightly, but I press further. "We're friends and you've helped me through so much, please let me return the favour."

"It's my ex, he keeps trying to contact me, see me and it's just becoming a little scary."

"I can speak to Ajax about putting someone on your detail for protection,"

"No, no. I can't. It means my family would know about him and they wouldn't approve, it's just sometimes I feel so alone and I realise my only friend is well, the person I work for."

My heart pains for Mal, realising how little I've done to truly help her. Making her my personal maid was enough to triple her salary and move her into safer lodging within the palace but emotionally, I've neglected to ensure she was okay.

"Wait here," I rush into the bathroom, shifting the loose tile that I use as a barricade against my filthy secrets. Pushing a bottle of lube aside, and a few scattered nude photos Damien took of Ajax fucking me from behind, I find a small old phone and the charger.

Delphine bought it for me, since phones here are rarely used in Dahlia.

"I'll take this, it's old but it'll work. In Damien's office is a landline that you can use, the hidden key is stuffed into the lamp on the right. I'll write down the number and you can call me, anytime for anything."