Chapter IV

I sit outside, kicking the gravel

I sit outside, kicking the gravel. The party is still raging inside, music so loud, I can feel the intense vibrations from out here.

People filter in and out, but thankfully are too drunk to notice me, or the tear tracks that stain my cheeks. It's such a stupid thing to cry over, yet for some reason I can't stop.

They didn't find me. I managed to slip out of a side door hidden within the kitchen, and the palace grounds span miles so I probably have another fifteen minutes alone.

"Emmeline," Scratch that.

Fortunately for me, it's not either of my best friends. Unfortunately, it is someone I happen to dislike very much, and the feeling is mutual I am sure.

"Chloe." I turn to greet her.

Always the polite princess.

Her makeup is flawless like always, and a tight sequined dress is wrapped around her body. I don't know how she's not freezing like me, even with my floor length gown.

"I thought you would be inside, enjoying your party." I'm not an idiot. Casual chit chat with Chloe always has a motive underlying it.

Something she learned from her father, since he's the worst of all the advisors. Huxley, the one who fights my parents on every agenda, who is pushing my marriage harder than any other and who believes a woman is unfit to rule a Kingdom.

"I just needed some air. It's loud in there."

She shrugs. "It's not the best party I've ever been to. The drinks taste like shit." She's trying to get a rise out of me, but I don't really give a shit about what she thinks.

"Chloe what do you want?"

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to pursue Ajax." I stare at her blankly.

"Pursue him? What the hell does that mean?"

"It means we're going to be together soon. My father is already arranging it with his parents, our courtship, since he's of nobility and so am I, it's likely we'll be married one day."

I choke on dry air, my stomach churning at the thought of Ajax and Chloe...oh god, no they can't and they won't. Ajax would never be with Chloe, and his parents would never enforce a marriage upon him, not when they don't have to.

"Whatever you say Chloe," I make to move away from her, when she grabs ahold of my wrist with her perfectly manicured hand.

"Let go of me Chloe." Her hold tightens, strong enough that I wince trying to break free of her.

"You need to understand something Emmeline,"

"Princess. I am the Princess of Dahlia, so get your hands off of me." She twists my hand, lips curling into a smirk.

"You don't look like much of a princess from where I'm standing. Wearing a dress that looks like rags, not a crown or tiara, outside all alone whilst people are laughing at you. You're nothing Emmeline, not without your fancy jewels and guards."