Chapter XXXIX

Another flood of water chokes me

Another flood of water chokes me. The cold liquid seeps through the black mask that shrouds me in darkness, the droplets entering my lungs to suffocate me violently.

I've never been waterboarded before. I can't say it's even been on my bucket list, but let me tell you one thing, it fucking hurts.

I can hear someone to the right of me, screaming through muffled gags. Aggressive sounds that connate anger not pain.

I can't help but think it's Damien or Ajax. Part of me hopes it is just so I know there's a chance we can make it out together but then a bigger part me of would never wish this kind of torture upon them.

"She's ready, stop it." Mal. That voice is easier to identify. It's clear and steady, yet trembles as a loud cracks ring through the room.

"Don't forget your place." Then the hood is whipped off, and finally I can feel relief as strong amounts of  oxygen inflate my lungs.

It eases my light head, my vision becoming clearer despite the dark room. I almost laugh when I catch sight of my other abductor.

Huxley. Despite the fact he should be rotting in the dungeons, I can't deny I'm not surprised.

Mal on the other hand is a shock that still hurts. One of my only friends and the entire time she was the bitch intended on killing me.

I glance to my left, stomach churning as I find Chloe gagged and bound, a nasty cut sliced across her cheek and bruises littering her body.

She looks at me apologetically with watery eyes that burn with a raging fire. Maybe we can escape somehow? Take them both down and save ourselves.

Unlikely but I'm not dying without a fight.

"Seriously? She's your own fucking daughter."

"A daughter that doesn't realise the value of power and control. She believes in you, in a better future you could create. Tried to report me when she discovered my plan. I can't let the kingdom collapse because of her."

"Collapse? Why Huxley? Because I want a fairer society, to cut taxes, to build more schools and fight for equality?"

"You want to empower the poor. It's stupid and reckless. There's a hierarchy for a reason and you're willing to destroy that for the sake of your pathetic relationship."

I scoff, shivering as the water evaporates against my skin. "And you," Mal barely looks me in the eye, her face still red from when he hit her. "What do you get from this?"

Huxley smirks, before kissing her. It's violent and brutal, biting down on her lip until she winces.

It's enough to make me feel sick to my stomach, realising that all along he was the abusive boyfriend she couldn't disconnect from.

"So he's manipulated you. Taking advantage of you, and you're letting him destroy your future Mal. You can still be free of this, free of him and any precision sentence."