Chapter XII

E M M E L I N E ' S P

E M M E L I N E ' S P. O. V

"I don't understand,"

The first words that come out of Damien's mouth.

Now I know this is going to be a long night if the smartest man I know is struggling to deduce the situation.

I start to get ready for the night, unclipping the pink pearls around my neck. "Understand what?"

"Why are you so...okay?"

"Okay?" Even Ajax struggles to hide his smile. Damien, flustered is something we have almost never witnessed.

"Yes, okay. You were smiling, happily listening to your mum discest wedding details but I don't..."

Letting my dress unhook, his words falter as the material pools at my feet. "Dames, breathe." I settle my hands on his cheeks, radiating warmth to his cold skin. "I have a plan."

"A plan?"

"What? You don't trust my plan already because I came up with it."

"I love you sweetheart, but your plans normally suck." I gasp in outrage, glancing to Ajax for support.

"He's right Princess."

"Ugh, look I was shocked. Really shocked that everything was suddenly happening this fast and I couldn't stop it. Then I realised that this marriage runs two ways. I may have little choice in the matter but the male suitor won't. If he doesn't like me, then he won't accept the proposal."

Damien stares at me, inquisitively. "So you want to scare off every marriage prospect the council throws at you?"

"Well when you say it like that it sounds..."

"Insane." Fuck...fuck.

I sink onto the bed in dismay, the evening suddenly hitting me head on. I'm to be engaged and married to a man I have never even met before. Gulping down tears, I look up at my boyfriends. "I'll lose you. In a matter of months...we won't be able to...oh god,"

The bed dips at either side, and two arms wrap themselves around me. I find myself sinking into the warm cocoon of pressure that settles my nerves. "Hey, we'll get through this. One step at a time."

"How, Ajax? Damien's right, there is no stopping this. We can overturn the law, or overthrow the council but both have disastrous consequences for everyone. I can't be selfish and rule a Kingdom. The people come first."

It was the grand motto that was instilled within every heir as they grew into their role. I was no different, even if my parents also taught me about the sanctity of love too.

Did love outweigh duty? It couldn't for a Queen, especially not for one already battling misogyny.

I feel the feathery brush of Damien's fingers pushing my hair to one side. His lips meet the base of neck, dancing up towards my ear. "I think what our Princess needs is a relaxant."