3: Them, Conversations, and Surprises

The sunlight trickled in through the slight gap in the blinds, which Anu always kept open to wake up at the sun's first ray, tickled her face, disturbing her sleep. She had allowed herself an hour more rest since she had shifted to this apartment. She was now taking time to pamper herself and enjoy her life a bit more. Spending time with Anuj and basking in his love had changed her. She had started laughing a little more, her eyes sparkled with optimism, and she had a new-found confidence and assurance in her demeanor. She was glowing, looking younger by the day. She loved being babied by her Kapadia Ji, and it showed.

She groaned, turned her face away from the window, and pulled the covers over her head. She was tired due to all the celebrations yesterday, and adding to it was their own little celebration and refusal to leave each other's company until their eyelids were threatening to close due to sleep.

However, she slept in for only another 15 mins, as sleep refused to return. Why does that always happen? She finally got out of bed and dragged herself to the bathroom to get on with the day. It wasn't an off-day.

"Chal ab uth bhi jaa, Anu."

She got ready for the day in a soft cotton saree yet again, as she had to go late to the dance academy today. She lit the lamp before her Kanha ji in the little temple she had set up in the living room, and proceeded with the kalash to pray to her Sun God, and Tulsi Maa.

"Let there be peace in the SH, and may Kinjal and her baby remain happy and healthy. Mere Anuj aur main ab ek hone jaa rahe hain. Humne ye jo faisla liya hai, bas wo poora ho, hum dono ki khushiyon ko kisi ki kisi ki kisi ki nazar na lage. Thu Thu Thu."

"This time, provide Vitamin H (himmat) to both Anuj and me. Dhyaan Rakhjo, haan? Jai Shri Krishna"

She went to the kitchen, picked up her phone from the slab, and texted Anuj.

"Good Morning Kapadia Ji. Uth jaiye, aur jaldi aa jaiye. We'll do the Aarti together, and then have breakfast. I am waiting for you..."

~~~~~

Anuj woke up to the chiming of his phone. He knew it was Anu. It was their daily thing now, since he had shifted into the apartment opposite her. He was loving this 'padosi' phase with his Anu.

His Anu, his Anupamaa... he smiled wide, his eyes sparkled.

Picking up his phone from the table, he squinted at the message Anu had sent.

"Good Morning, Mohatarma. Abhi aaya aapke pass..."

He smiled looking at her profile pic. It was a picture from the celebrations yesterday. Anupamaa had a happy glow on her face and she was hugging Kinjal and Samar. Anuj felt a weird restlessness, a fear. Everything would be all right. Right?

He glanced at the time. 7.30 am! He sprang out of the bed and sprinted towards the bathroom. But his glasses! He was blind without them! He scrambled back to the bed and wore them. Anu was waiting for him, and here he was goofing up. Anuj! He had to get ready soon and go to his Anu. Every moment spent with her was precious.

Anuj was ready by 7.50. God, he had rushed!

He locked up his flat and knocked on Anu's door. She opened the door within seconds. Seems like he wasn't the only one excited to see her.

~~~~~

"Good Morning, Anu!"

"Good Morning, Anuj!"

They said it together, smiling brightly and burst out laughing. This was the best thing between them. The comfortable friendship. There was no space for awkwardness.