4: Their First Dinner Date: Moments, Memories and Commitments

Anuj and Anu left the academy in their pyaari auto. They both were super excited about the date. There was a nervous energy between them, but it felt good. This was all very new for both of them.  

Anuj asked the auto wale bhaiyya to stop near a cart with fresh flowers.

"Kya hua, Anuj?"

"Bas ek minute mein aaya, Anu."

Of course. He had to buy gajra for his Anu, especially when they were going on a date. Anu smiled at him as he sat back in the auto and handed over the flowers to her.

"Bohot sundar hain."

"Tum lagaogi, to aur bhi mehekenge."

They both reached their flat building and went to their respective apartments to get ready.

"Main ek ghante baad aaunga, Anu. Phir hum saath chalenge."

"Thik chhe."

~~~~~

Anuj entered his apartment, went to his bedroom and took out a small black velvet covered box. He was unsure. He hesitated anticipating Anu's reaction. What if she feels bad? What if I mess up?

"Anu ko gussa aa gaya na...to woh chappal se maaregi. Lekin what if she accepts? Should I try....? If she doesn't like it, she will be explicit about it. Our relationship has developed as much."

~~~~~

Anupamaa entered her flat. She took a shower and freshened up. She was glad Anuj had given her a complete hour for getting ready. She wanted to take her time to dress up for him today.

But, she was nervous. She didn't know how much to dress up. She didn't know where they were going. How was she going to decide? Oh god! What to do? What if she would look too simple or too decked up? Should she call and ask Anuj? Well, it's not as if he was going to be any help. She knew what he would say, "tum to har tarah se mujhe sabse khoobsurat hi lagti ho."  Though she loved this romantic side, it was annoying at moments such as this. She took a deep breath, and tried to rationalize.

"Anu, shaant ho ja. Itna kya soch rahi hai? Tujhe aaj sirf apne Anuj ke liye taiyaar hona hai na? He adores your simplicity. So deck up in that. Just keep that Anuj element in you. Tu apne aap ko unki nazar se dekh kar taiyaar ho. Unhein pasand hi aayegi."

Phew. She smiled and took the saree Anuj gave her in the morning from her cupboard. She draped the saree around her petite frame carefully, making sure the pleats were perfect. She wanted to look perfect. She then walked over to the mirror, picked up the comb, and carefully run it through her tresses. She tied her hair up into a loose bun and held it in place with the help of a bun stick. She applied kajal and a brown-nude shade of lipstick.

Anu then put on her bindi and wore teal glass bangles in both hands. She couldn't decide on the earrings, but then a thought struck her. Dressing up for Anuj required an Anupamaa element too right? It wouldn't be complete without it.

She opened the small drawer in her dresser and took out a wooden box with beautiful, intricate carving on the lid. She had this box since she was little, and that was one possession she always carried around with her. It had been a gift from her father on her 16th birthday. He had placed a pair of anklets in the box, and had surprised her at midnight with the gift. There were only two men in her life who had pampered her and protected her. With whom she was completely herself. First her Papa, and now her Anuj. She wanted to keep them both close to her as she embarked on a new journey in her life. She still had those anklets. She had put great effort in keeping the shine intact through all these years.