| chapter 12

♡☆♡

I adjusted the screws, making sure they were on tight. I moved my arm and accidentally brushed against Steve's forearm. I flinched back, apologizing excessively.

I hadn't realized how close I was to Steve until now. "Sorry," I muttered for the umpteenth time.

"It's fine."

I smiled tentatively at Steve, grabbing the device I had been fiddling within my hands. It was a metal arm bracer, designed to amplify my powers in a way I couldn't before. For now, it was the plain silver color of the metal, but I had several ideas on how to paint it. I slid them onto my wrists, feeling the weight of them. I was excited to see if this idea would work.

"Okay, well... you ready to help me test it?" I asked.

Steve nodded nervously, and stood up, grabbing his shield. I took a deep breath.

"Let's hope it doesn't blow up," I muttered.

"What?"

I ran forward, trying to get a kick into his side. Steve blocked with his shield, trying and failing to grab my foot. I moved out of the way, throwing punch after punch. Steve kept blocking, sometimes trying to get a hit in with his shield, but I knew he was holding back. I ducked under his shield and got as close as I could, using my foot to hook around the back of his leg. I summoned all the force I could and pulled my leg back, knocking Steve onto the floor.

Steve grunted as he fell with a loud thud. For a second, I was grateful for the sound-proof room, which had been necessary with all the experiments I conducted here. I smirked, "Looks like I beat the-" I was interrupted with Steve knocking my legs out from under me. I yelped, barely breaking my fall. Steve jumped onto his feet, and as he stepped forward to press the shield into my chest, I raised my arms above my head as Steve struck his shield down, I hit my arms against one another, creating an 'X' shape. A wave of blue knocked Steve back, his shield flying to the other side of the room.

Steve hit the wall, and I saw the cracks spread under the force. Steve groaned, giving me the thumbs-up to indicate he was okay.

I thrust my hips back and then threw my legs forward, using the momentum to jump into a squat position. I stood up, squaring my shoulders as I looked down at the silver arm brace. I looked around the room, seeing the way that all objects near me had been knocked back. The room was a mess, but I laughed breathlessly.

"It worked!" I laughed. Steve stood up, brushing himself off as he looked at the room.

"It worked?"

"It worked!" I repeated, running forward and hugging Steve tightly. I didn't think it through before doing it, and I realized too late what I did. I hastily let go of Steve, staggering back as heat creeping up my neck. Steve scratched the back of his neck nervously. I muttered, "Sorry."

Steve cleared his throat, crossing his arms. "You did great."

"Thanks, " I smiled. Steve returned it, and just as I started getting lost in his indigo eyes, he jumped, remembering something.

"I forgot," Steve said, "I may have done a little something."

"What did you do, Rogers?" There was a threatening tone in my voice, and I could only imagine the trouble he'd gotten himself into. Why was I always the one to bail him out? I thought he had superhero friends for that.

"It's nothing bad!" Steve replied. "I promise you'll love it."

"So what'll you give me if I don't love it? If I just moderately like it? Or stand it, or if I cheat on it?"