Chapter Two: The Warehouse

Lexi had traveled halfway to Austin with only half a tank of gas, and as she approached Waco, Texas, she found herself running low on fuel. With about 100 miles left to go, she stopped at the first gas station she could find after hitting E. Upon arriving, Lexi noticed that the city appeared desolate and eerie, almost as if a bomb had gone off. The darkness and stillness were unsettling.

Lexi has concluded that it would be best to wait until morning before attempting to locate additional gasoline for her car or another car that has gasoline and keys inside. If unsuccessful, she will have to walk the remaining distance to Austin, which she dreads. Nonetheless, she had to reach Austin in search of her family.

Lexi made sure her car doors were locked before settling in for the night. She decided it was safer to stay in her car than risk venturing out into the unknown. She planned to survey the area more thoroughly in daylight. The Miller girl arranged herself in the backseat, which would provide better comfort compared to sleeping in the front.

Despite the weight of recent events on her mind, she managed to get a few hours of sleep although it was not restful. The sun shining through the back window woke her up.

As Lexi woke up, she felt stiff and disoriented. It took her a few moments to recall the events of the previous day. She stretched her sore muscles, trying to ease the discomfort from sleeping in an uncomfortable position. She rummaged through her bag and found a granola bar to snack on. She also took a sip of water from her water bottle.

After stepping out of the car, Lexi surveyed her surroundings and checked the gas pumps, only to find them already emptied. Though disappointed, she decided to quietly explore the building. Most of the store had been scavenged, but she managed to find a few items left behind, which she added to her backpack. After securing her backpack, she left the gas station.

Lexi had attempted to check several cars, but unfortunately for her, most were either locked or missing keys. As a result, she had to continue on foot, since she lacked the knowledge of how to hotwire a car. This realization caused her to let out a sigh, as she began her daunting 100-mile journey.

Lexi spent the whole day walking, taking only a few pauses to rest, eat, and drink water. She made sure to save her resources until she was confident she could restock her food and water supply.

Throughout her journey, she encountered a few more infected people and remembered that her knife through her former friend who had been infected’s brain killed it, that information came in handy because she killed them the same way though it was only a few lone ones at different times during her trek which made it easier for her take them on.

As night approached, Lexi felt uneasy about traveling alone in the dark. She came across a warehouse and decided to stay there for the night, hoping to continue her journey in the morning. She still had around 50 miles left to reach her destination, and it would probably take her half a day to get there. Lexi couldn't help but worry about her family's well-being.

Upon discovering that the entrance was chained shut, Lexi had to find a small opening to slip into the building. To ensure her safety, she blocked the entrance with an object. As she quietly entered the main area with her flashlight, she assumed that there were no infected present since the entrance had not been tampered with.

Lexi was surprised that the warehouse seemed bare at least in this part anyway, she surveyed the room only to find a single coffin in the middle of the room, Lexi gave it a weird look, she was just slightly weirded out. But she had seen weirder things over the past couple of days, so she shrugged it off and walked up to the coffin. She shines her flashlight on the object and noted that it looked fancy, it was dark mahogany and there was a monogrammed KM in the middle of the lid.