Chapter 3: Dinner with the Millers

-*-*-

That afternoon, after finding and interviewing the taxi driver, Alec was watching the clock. He had a plan, he just wasn't sure if he was going to have time to follow through with it. He knew Ellie would be going home by dinner time to see the boys, and he needed to take care of something before she did. As soon as they finished the interview and stepped out of the room, he called out to her as she walked away. "Miller, I've just got to go take care of something. See you later."

"What?!" He ignored her, so she muttered in disgust and turned back towards the station.

Hardy quickly got into his car. Every time he was able to do that, he was thankful that he had gotten the pacemaker. Being able to drive again was one of its many perks; that and actually being alive to be able to drive. He put the car in gear and headed towards Miller's house.

When he arrived, he knocked on the door and his hands automatically went to his hips while he waited. When the door opened it was who he had hoped for. "Mr. Barnett— "

Before he could continue, Ellie's father interrupted him. "Ellie isn't home, she's supposed to be at work, with you. Why are you here? You're the one that keeps her there all hours."

"Well, Mr. Barnett, that's actually part of what I'm here to discuss. Could I come in or do I have to talk to you from out here?" Hardy tried not to sound impatient, as difficult as it was for him. He had to make sure this worked.

The older man eyed him suspiciously but stepped aside, holding the door open for him. Hardy stepped in and made his way into the kitchen, towards the table, on his own.

David Barnett followed him, not going as far as the table, still looking suspicious. "Well, what is it? The children will be home soon."

Alec could tell that Ellie's father was not going to make this easy. He stood straight, hands on his hips, and prepared himself for a speech that hopefully would convince the man who stood before him. "Mr. Barnett, before you came to stay with your daughter we frequently met here, at her home, to discuss the cases we were working on. We always did so after Tom and Fred were in bed for the night so as not to involve them or have them overhear, and no case files or materials ever stayed out where the children would see them during the day. This allowed Miller—Ellie—to be home with her boys on a more regular basis. It allowed us to potentially solve crimes faster as she and I work together well as a team but need time to go over the case without other distractions." Hardy paused a moment, letting what he had said sink in. "However the first time I was here after you came to stay, you made it very clear you were not happy with that arrangement. Out of respect for your feelings, we put a stop to those meetings. I'd like you to reconsider your opinion, as I believe it could be in everyone's best interest. I'd like to offer to bring over take-away pizza tonight for the family, and afterwards discuss the case with Ellie. I'll need to let her know—" He glanced at his watch and continued, "—Within the hour, I would guess, so that she doesn't make other plans for dinner. If you decide before then that you really can't bear the thought of she and I discussing work in this house," as Alec went on, he pulled a business card out of his wallet and handed it to the other man. "Call me at this number." He paused another moment as the older man looked at the card he had been handed. "I would remind you, sir, that this is Ellie's house, in the end the decision should rest with her. I'm asking for your approval only out of respect." With that, Alec walked out of the kitchen, past Ellie's father, and continued out of the house.

When he got back out to his car he checked his phone and saw a message from Ellie. They were to meet at the taxi driver's home to interview his wife. Later they got back to the station and Alec was going over paperwork when he thought to look at the time. An hour had passed and no word from Ellie's father. That was his cue. Ellie came in to show him the test results that had come back from Trish's hair samples. Before he could change the subject, DC Hartford walked in on them.