Chapter 6: Alec

Celebration of Ellie's promotion came earlier than the planned Saturday get together of her close friends and family. The day that Ellie and Alec had their discussion about it, Ellie had gone back to the office and given her decision to CS Jenkinson. The next day, the Chief Superintendent came down to the bullpen to share the news with the team of detectives and officially gave Ellie her new credentials. Word quickly spread around the building and by nightfall, plans had been made for celebratory drinks at a local pub on Friday night.

After several more days of diligent work on the case, they seemed to be spinning their wheels, not making any progress on finding who Trish's attacker was, Ellie was ready for a drink. She walked into the bar with a couple of work mates, with the expectation that since Hardy hadn't mentioned the get together at all that day at work, he most likely wouldn't be coming. She knew these types of social events were not his thing, and being around coworkers just made it even more awkward for him. So when she saw a figure step up beside her at the bar, the last person she expected to see was the dark haired Scot who stood before her. Her mouth gaped open, but the bartender had arrived in front of him before she could speak.

Alec nodded towards the barkeeper, ordered his own drink, then added, "And I'll be covering the first round for the police force in attendance to celebrate our new DI, thank you."

Ellie's eyes went wide. "Alec Hardy, you never cease to amaze me."

Alec smirked and glanced at his partner before the bartender brought him a beer. "Just remember later, Detective Inspector Miller, that I endured this pain and suffering for your benefit."

Ellie grinned and turned on her stool. "Hey, everyone, first round is on DI Hardy!"

Everyone cheered and for the next few minutes Alec endured several smacks on the back and declarations of good will before it died down and he turned to glare at Ellie. "Was that really necessary?"

"Just trying to assist you in turning around your reputation, maybe you'll get a new, nicer nickname." She smiled at him and he just shook his head.

"I'm perfectly happy with my reputation as it is." He paused a moment and took another drink from the glass in front of him, then hoped to change the subject. "So, how did your dad take the news?"

She sighed. "He congratulated me, said it was about time, and then started worrying over my schedule and the boys."

Alec shrugged. "Seems like a normal parental reaction. He worries about you and the boys."

Ellie couldn't hide the bit of exasperation and surprise in her voice, "Are you defending my dad?"

He shrugged again. "The man and I have something in common."

This time her eyebrow went up in confusion. "What is that?"

Alec didn't turn towards her as he spoke. Instead he looked at her through the mirror behind the bar, and she caught his gaze as the words finally left his mouth. "We both care a great deal about the Miller family."

Alec loved it when he was able to be the one to make her genuinely smile. It was usually reserved for when she talked about her boys, or something particularly entertaining that had happened in her day. But when she turned that smile on him, it made enduring the intense social interaction this evening worth every painful moment. After a moment of silence, him lost in her smile, she countered his argument over the similarity between he and her father. "At least when you express it, it doesn't sound like a critical analysis of my ability to parent."

"Well I definitely wouldn't criticize your parenting. You're the reason your two boys are the fine young men they are. But I also think sounding critical is a part of parenting. No matter what I try to say to Daisy, I always seem to end up sounding like an arse. And I hardly remember a positive thing my father said to me."